Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Stu

Long, bendy slo mo controls for Vixen GP/EQ5

I'm looking for some nice long, flexible slo mo controls for my Vixen GP mount. Let me know if you have anything suitable

I have a spare pair from an EQ2 if they'll fit - if they do,  pm me your address and I'll post em :)

On 01/02/2017 at 14:25, ghostdance said:

I have a spare pair from an EQ2 if they'll fit - if they do,  pm me your address and I'll post em :)

Hi,

Could you possibly send me a photo? How long are they?

Thank you :) 

If the above doesn't work out, and the slo mo spindles on a Vixen GP are the same diameter as those on a Sky Tee 2, then I have a pair of controls that are about 30cm long going spare.

Stu

I'll check the length and get back to you - they're the standard SW ones AFAIK, where you tighten w/ a screw. If I can get a pic I'll post it here.

I don't know how ( or if) they differ from Vixen or Sky Tee 2 slo-mos, but at least you've got two options (hopefully) :)

Thanks all, I'll have a think. Ghostdance, I'm very tempted by your offer, I'll send you a pm.

I had these lurking in the back of my mind somewhere.... any ideas if these are available?

Hey ! Everyone keeps asking me about my long floppy cables. Never come across any , these were on the mount and are a delight to use. Good luck hunting !

old Nick.?

• Like 1

The one's from Rother, from their handles, are a Skywatcher (Synta) production. They work fine on most mounts that are made for them(cables). There are an older varient that alse are threaded for screw-on cables. They're a rarity these days.

Happy Hunting -

Dave

Edited by Dave In Vermont

The ones I had on the custom made mount that I fitted large worm and wheel sets from Beacon hill telescopes, I was told were made using tacho cables from a truck.

• Like 1

New floppies are very stiff and need forced flexing to free up the tightly wound springs. Cutting the spring two or three inched from the control knob using an angle grinder and metal cutting wheel, then perminantly fixing into aluminium tubing using epoxy metal filler, works a treat! (Aluminium tube and epoxy filler are available at B&Q)

A quick rub with brasso makes it look pretty! ☺

Mike

20170208_133052.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks all for the information, very useful indeed.

Plenty of food for thought. I can feel some DIY coming on! :) 

• Like 2

Unbunging a sink ( House Dobby duty), I was suddenly struck by the long flexi wire I was busy with ,was near identical to long springy slo mo cables. Some diy possibilities there ,

old Nick.?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cotterless45 said:

Unbunging a sink ( House Dobby duty), I was suddenly struck by the long flexi wire I was busy with ,was near identical to long springy slo mo cables. Some diy possibilities there ,

old Nick.?

Perfect!! Thanks

1 hour ago, cotterless45 said:

I was suddenly struck by the long flexi wire I was busy with

Literally?:smiley:

• Like 1

Having received a set of very nice slo mo controls gratis from Ghostdance (thank you again sir!), it seems the solution is much easier than I thought.

The handle on these controls unscrews, leaving an identical fitting to the ends which attach to the mount spindle.

So, remove the handle, insert a length of threaded rod and tighten, then attach the other control to it and tighten. Simples!

All I need to do is source another matching set and bob is indeed my uncle :) 

IMG_9326.JPG

IMG_9325.JPG

• Like 4

Sheer genius, bravo ! You booked up yet ?

old Nick.

• Like 1

Thanks Nick. Not yet, will do very soon!

Mission accomplished, with grateful thanks  to ghostdance, and Astroboot :)

Thanks all for your input, and I hope the final result helps someone else out if looking for the same, so easy to do!

IMG_9396.JPG