Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

MESU/Sitech questions

kirkster501

1 minute ago, gnomus said:

I am sure your right.  But then what is the point of the model?  

No idea!! But when I tried with and without and it made no difference then I didn't see the point of doing one anymore. Personally I think that guiding takes care of a lot of things 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, gnomus said:

OK.  Now all I need to know is what 'Polite Mode' means... and does,

Polite mode disables the axis (secondary) encoder for all moves below the threshold that you set. This ensures that the mount doesn't adjust its pointing in response to input from the secondary encoder unless the adjustment required is over the threshold value. Guiding adjustments are all below the threshold!

14 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Polite mode disables the axis (secondary) encoder for all moves below the threshold that you set. This ensures that the mount doesn't adjust its pointing in response to input from the secondary encoder unless the adjustment required is over the threshold value. Guiding adjustments are all below the threshold!

So @MrsGnomus has badgered me to ask you if you have your mount set to Polite mode or Ignore mode when imaging.  (She's too Polite to ask, herself.)

3 hours ago, swag72 said:

No idea!! But when I tried with and without and it made no difference then I didn't see the point of doing one anymore. Personally I think that guiding takes care of a lot of things 

3 hours ago, Singlin said:

I did not notice any difference either but you have to do it at least once just for the spectacle.

I haven't bothered with a pointing model either, nice to know I'm not missing out on anything :)

I think the point of a pointing model is to reduce the need to guide in the first place. Has anyone noticed an improvement in unguided imaging with a Mesu and a pointing model?

Cheers, Ian.

20 hours ago, Zakalwe said:

Unless someone says otherwise I can't see the point of one when imaging with autoguiding. If you are visual only then there'd be a big improvement in GOTO pointing accuracy and tracking (would a visual user have a Mesu?).  Maybe for unguided imaging, but who could be bothered with all that faff?

..and even for visual (which I also enjoy immensely), if the mount is as accurate as it is purported to be and with a good polar alignment then just a one star sync should be good enough.  It was almost there with the NEQ6 so I will be disappointed if it is not a darn sight better with a mount that is 5x the cost...

2 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

..and even for visual (which I also enjoy immensely), if the mount is as accurate as it is purported to be and with a good polar alignment then just a one star sync should be good enough.  It was almost there with the NEQ6 so I will be disappointed if it is not a darn sight better with a mount that is 5x the cost...

It won't be far off.
I did create a sky map manually. After about 3-4 CalStars you could see the pointing improving dramatically, especially when slewing well past the meridian. The SiTech system is a bit quirky to look at but you can't deny that it's not powerful!

On 02/02/2017 at 20:51, steppenwolf said:

Can you repeat that in English please Steve? !

10 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Can you repeat that in English please Steve? !

The Mesu Mount has two sets of encoders on each axis. One on the motor and one on the axis shaft. The motor encoders are enabled all the time and check that the motor has moved to where it should have done during a slew and while tracking. The shaft encoders keep a final check on the RA and DEC axis shafts to ensure that there has been no slippage of the axes during the slew.

1. Ignore mode essentially disables the shaft encoders all the time

2. Precision mode ensures that both encoders are enabled all the time

3. Polite mode enables both encoders during a slew but disables the shaft encoder during tracking UNLESS the mount transgresses more than the threshold setting in which case, the shaft encoder kicks in to make a correction to get the mount back on track (ooops, pun).

I can also explain this is Dutch but that would be against the SGL code of conduct ......

17 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

The Mesu Mount has two sets of encoders on each axis. One on the motor and one on the axis shaft. The motor encoders are enabled all the time and check that the motor has moved to where it should have done during a slew and while tracking. The shaft encoders keep a final check on the RA and DEC axis shafts to ensure that there has been no slippage of the axes during the slew.

3. Polite mode enables both encoders during a slew but disables the shaft encoder during tracking UNLESS the mount transgresses more than the threshold setting in which case, the shaft encoder kicks in to make a correction to get the mount back on track (ooops, pun).

I can also explain this is Dutch but that would be against the SGL code of conduct ......

Excellent info :headbang:

Harry

11 hours ago, harry page said:

well I did say to bern when he delivered my mesu

"I shall be very disapointed if the mesu works first time , wheres the fun in that ":)

Harry

Indeed!  Nothing in this game should ever work first time ;)

I think i have got my head around this now.

Now, if only we had a clear night......

43 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Indeed!  Nothing in this game should ever work first time ;)

I think i have got my head around this now.

Now, if only we had a clear night......

Looks like we may grab a few hours in Nottingham this evening :icon_biggrin:

12 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

What a great easy to understand explanation.  You should write a book :icon_biggrin:

20 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

.. and typically I am otherwise engaged this evening! Doh.....

Oh noooo!! I feel for you. That must be so frustrating. New mount .........................but its just out of reach!! 

Hope the weather holds for and you get free time soon:)

Archived