Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter Registax 6 Processing

Hey there,

Brand new to this forum (actually been ages since I was even on any forum).

I started stargazing back at the start of 2014 when I got a Skywatcher 200 on aluminium legged EQ5 (a mistake, I know) for my 21st. More on the mount somewhere else shortly.

I got into the photography side of things by holding my parents digital camera up first. Last year I got a Canon 750D and have now begun on star scapes, planetary and deep space shots.

I think I've got some respectable shots for my first attempts and having a terrible mount. See them attached.

Now the main reason I'm coming here is the Jupiter shot. It's terrible and I can't get it any better. The video I'm inputting to Registax seems to be fine, exactly like what I did for Saturn. However whenever I try to do anything to the wavelets to get some form of detail, it just comes up with these squares everywhere and looks like it's been taken at extremely low resolution.

I think the way I'm attaching my camera to the scope may be part of the problem as it feels like I can never achieve a perfect focus. The set up is:

2"-1.25" Adapter --- Skywatcher 8-24mm Zoom --- Eyepeice Adapter --- T-Ring --- Camera

Would this be causing issues with achieving focus? It just feels like the best focus I can get too, is not really focused at all.

Now the Jupiter shot was only using somewhere around 200 frames I believe (I know I should have more) but I don't see why that would cause the issue I'm having. 

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Also, any feedback/suggestions on any of these images then please fire away. 

Moon 21-08-16.jpg

Sky Plane 2 29-01-17.jpg

Sun 22-10-16.jpg

Saturn 10-09-16.jpg

47 Tuc 21-08-16.jpg

Jupiter 29-01-17.jpg

Hello and welcome.

Firstly I would not use Registax for the stacking but rather Autostakkert - it gives better results and an output file that you can tweek in R6 for wavelets etc.

As to the equipment, I would not include an EP in the image train but, instead employ a Barlow or Powermate. The camera - if you can get hold of a fast frame rate planetary camera like an ASI224 or similar you will get better results and a bigger image. You should be aiming to get thousands of images not 200 and stacking the best 20-30%.

Peter

Awesome. Thanks for that guys.

I am slightly confused by barlows and can't find a straight explanation for why you would use them. I understand it doubles the focal length. So my telescope being 1000mm focal length, prime focus will be 1000/50 = 20x magnification. Putting a 2x barlow in there will only bring mag up to 40x and a 4x barlow will come to 80x. Not enough magnification for planets to give a big enough object. I use my eyepiece at 8mm zoom and that then gives me 125x mag. Is this me being silly and missing something here?

And yea, money an issue right now seeing as I'm saving up for the EQ6. Will see what I can do with the DSLR for now and look at getting a CCD further down the line.

Had a look in the camera settings, doesn't say anything about video crop mode but I do have the option to bring down the movie recording size to 640x480. Not sure if those are the same? Assuming they are.

Archived