SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Refractor for imaging?

Andyk93

17 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

If diffraction spikes can be added to a refractor image, can they not similarly be removed from a Newtonian image?

If one had a perfect star with which one could image a perfect defraction pattern of the obstruction, , ,  then a fourier transform of the incoming imperfect image,  and of the ideal,  and deconvolution is your friend.

But I think you can see the flaw ?  :)

there are other types of defect that deconvolution can assist, but assumptions about the ideal image shape need to be made,   I think :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SilverAstro said:

If one had a perfect star with which one could image a perfect defraction pattern of the obstruction, , ,  then a fourier transform of the incoming imperfect image,  and of the ideal,  and deconvolution is your friend.

But I think you can see the flaw ?  :)

there are other types of defect that deconvolution can assist, but assumptions about the ideal image shape need to be made,   I think :)

I can certainly see the flaw-----ME!   :icon_biggrin:

Explore Scientific is making very nice refractors at the moment with FCD100 glass. I read a couple of reviews of them on the Cloudy Nights forum.
People are raving about them, triplet ED apochromats, 80mm is in the making app. 1000 USA$, so in your budget: http://explorescientificusa.com/collections/telescopes/products/fcd100-80mm-apochromatic-refractor

1 hour ago, Waldemar said:

Explore Scientific is making very nice refractors at the moment with FCD100 glass. I read a couple of reviews of them on the Cloudy Nights forum.
People are raving about them, triplet ED apochromats, 80mm is in the making app. 1000 USA$, so in your budget: http://explorescientificusa.com/collections/telescopes/products/fcd100-80mm-apochromatic-refractor

Thanks, that gives me something else to look at! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, was just about to order a skywatcher esprit 80 with all the bits and noticed that if I wanted to bolt an st80 or similar onto it I wouldn't have any tube rings to fix it to? Also I think I need a dovetail and bolts to attach to the bottom of the scope

Archived