Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrading a photographic tripod.

I have quite a sturdy Manfrotto photographic tripod. I understand that it may be possible to upgrade the mount or head by attaching some sort of head that will take a light weight telescope with a Vixen type dovetail.

Has anyone done this? Any advice on what can be done would be great.

Thanks

Martin.

8 hours ago, Grumpy Martian said:

I have quite a sturdy Manfrotto photographic tripod. I understand that it may be possible to upgrade the mount or head by attaching some sort of head that will take a light weight telescope with a Vixen type dovetail.

Has anyone done this? Any advice on what can be done would be great.

Thanks

Martin.

Hi Martin,

I've done exactly this with a Manfrotto 055 Tripod. The Vixen Porta11 mount can be bolted onto an adaptor (was £40 from FLO) that allows you to then fit the whole thing onto a photo tripod.  Had the Manfrotto been painted white and not black, I would have left it permanently attached, as I've had "issues" with the Vixen tripod.  Much more portable and almost as stable - build quality of Manfrotto is leaps and bounds above that of the supplied Porta11 tripod, but having a white tripod is handy when you help with outreach.

There's a photo on this thread, hope that helps? 

Chris

Archived