sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Trapezium stars with binoculars

Hi guys, just finished a quick observation with my 15x85 binoculars. After enjoying some Messiers and NGCs, just scanned Lepus to spot R Leporis (the Hind's Crimson Star) to enjoy its red color. After that I pointed to the trapezium of M42. For my surprise I was able to split both A and D from C, the main star.  As you see in the image, A and D are 12.9 arcsec and 13.3 arcsec apart from C, respectively.

I guess the common chromatic aberration of binoculars and the reduced magnification make very difficult to split stars lower than 15 arcsecs apart. Are you guys able to split the trapezium starts with your binos?

Captura de pantalla 2017-01-30 a las 22.59.04.png

Edited by CHAMACO
  • Like 2

I've looked at Orion with my Canon 15x50 IS bins, and though of course the stars of the Trapezium are easily visible, I've never clearly split them. I guess it could be that I've never had a bino session with optimal viewing conditions; I love using the bins but it's usually for a quick look before or between the clouds or on holiday when Orion is not ideally positioned. So I've never really had the opportunity to really observe M42 and let the image form while using binoculars.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, StarSapling said:

When the seeing if very good, I can just split A & B (8.7") with my 20x80's.

Very interesting, so with good seeing you can actually split the 4 main trapezium stars with a 20x80 bins.

5 hours ago, StarSapling said:

In the winter months, I use my ability to split A & B, with my 20x80's, as a test for seeing conditions.  If I can split them with the bins, I know it is a great night to split doubles with my frac.

oh yes, if you split them with binos, time to enjoy your frac all the way...

5 hours ago, StarSapling said:

In the winter months, I use my ability to split A & B, with my 20x80's, as a test for seeing conditions.  If I can split them with the bins, I know it is a great night to split doubles with my frac.

I guess you enjoy very good seeing conditions... I will try next time split Mizar A and Mizar B (14 arcseconds apart). 

EDIT: I just did the Mizar A-B split. Very clear. No way for the couples forming Mizar A, Mizar B, nor Alcor (yes, in total they are 6 stars).

Captura de pantalla 2017-01-31 a las 20.58.48.png

Edited by CHAMACO
  • Like 2