Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Herschel wedge question.

Alan White

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Excellent idea. I wonder if that is the incoming scope which Paul's poor helpless eyepieces are being sacrificed for?

It could be. Rumour has it his infamous tent is being auctioned at Christie's next week :smile:

4 minutes ago, DRT said:

It could be. Rumour has it his infamous tent is being auctioned at Christie's next week :smile:

Now that I don't believe, the flowery pop-up tent of campness is a family heirloom, to be handed down to the next generation...

21 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

I was going to buy a new tent for the DIY Star party next month....... 

Can't afford one now.??. I love new gear.??

And. Before anyone else asks; I do not want to buy a "barely used Baader Wedge"!

Paul

You can sleep in the ali box :lol:

I know the Baader 2" is more expensive than the Lunt, but don't forget both versions of the Baader Wedge (visual and photographic) come with a 2" Continuum filter as standard  so that is a bonus of £120. on the £399 price.

I've owned a Lunt 1.25" and also have the Baader CoolCeramic 2" and I must say the Baader wins hands down in terms of visible detail. The Lunt 1.25" is very good, particularly compared to foil or glass filters, but the Baader seems to be in a different league. I haven't looked through a Lunt 2" so have idea where that sits on the scale.

2 hours ago, Solar B said:

I think thats because the Baader CC uses a prism

I've owned other 2" wedges that had mirrors and they don't compare 

Brian 

I think the Lunt uses a Prism too, it's just the Baader has a Zeiss Prism with more accurate surface finish which I assume is responsible for the greater detail?

I compared a Lunt 1.25" with a 2" CoolCeramic, and as Derek says, the detail and high mag performance in the Baader is well worth the money.

That said, the Lunt 1.25" has to be one of the best buys around in terms of cost vs performance, well worth it as a step up from film.

With regards to op question I use the Lunt 1.25 with 6"/150mm frac works well, use with a polarising and continuum filter, great setup! Views are really good, just note the wedge does get really hot so take care not to touch!

As the OP I thought an update was due:

Just purchased a Lunt 1.25" from Bresser in Germany from the Sale list.  
Price was OK and I will buy a Polariser Filter from someone here in the UK.

Now same as my dark sky, my day sky now needs no clouds please.
As always any hints or tips about the use of the wedge will be appreciated.

7 minutes ago, Alan White said:

As the OP I thought an update was due:

Just purchased a Lunt 1.25" from Bresser in Germany from the Sale list.  
Price was OK and I will buy a Polariser Filter from someone here in the UK.

Now same as my dark sky, my day sky now needs no clouds please.
As always any hints or tips about the use of the wedge will be appreciated.

Good stuff Alan. I assume the Wedge has the ND3.0 filter included which you need?

3 hours ago, jam1e1 said:

With regards to op question I use the Lunt 1.25 with 6"/150mm frac works well, use with a polarising and continuum filter, great setup! Views are really good, just note the wedge does get really hot so take care not to touch!

I thought the aperture guide limit with the 1.25" Lunt wedge was around 120mm ?. So far I've only used mine with my 100 / 102mm fracs regularly. I used it once with my ED120 but was a little nervous. The heat sink got pretty warm but all was OK.

9 hours ago, John said:

I thought the aperture guide limit with the 1.25" Lunt wedge was around 120mm ?. So far I've only used mine with my 100 / 102mm fracs regularly. I used it once with my ED120 but was a little nervous. The heat sink got pretty warm but all was OK.

My understanding is that they are fine up to 150mm John, no probs in your 120ED, I used mine many time with no issues.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

My understanding is that they are fine up to 150mm John, no probs in your 120ED, I used mine many time with no issues.

Thats good to know :icon_biggrin:

I've re-read the instructions with my 1.25" Lunt wedge and it does say suitable for refractors up to 150mm in aperture.

The Lunt website uses the term "best for":

".....1.25″ is best for refractors 4″ and under, and the 2″ is best for refractors 6″ and under...."

So more of a guideline than anything else I guess.

11 minutes ago, John said:

Thats good to know :icon_biggrin:

I've re-read the instructions with my 1.25" Lunt wedge and it does say suitable for refractors up to 150mm in aperture.

The Lunt website uses the term "best for":

".....1.25″ is best for refractors 4″ and under, and the 2″ is best for refractors 6″ and under...."

So more of a guideline than anything else I guess.

Well they have to have a reason to sell you up, don't they? ;) 

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Well they have to have a reason to sell you up, don't they? ;) 

Oh you cynical person Stu ! ...... spot on though, I expect :icon_biggrin:

Maybe I'll give the Lunt 1.25" a go in my 130mm triplet.

7 minutes ago, John said:

Oh you cynical person Stu ! ...... spot on though, I expect :icon_biggrin:

Maybe I'll give the Lunt 1.25" a go in my 130mm triplet.

Moi? ;) 

Certainly give the 130mm a go, should be great if the seeing is up to it, otherwise the smaller aperture still seem very effective.

I'm not totally sure of the benefits of moving to 2" of the same quality, I guess it only really matters if you are likely to start vignetting the image which might happen at larger apertures/longer focal lengths?

I have an Intes which is very bargain like... I can choose the ND filter so I can use a camera at high power with less attenuation.... I have a sticker to remind me to ALWAYS check the filter before using the eyepiece! Unless you want to use big long focal length eyepieces there is no reason to use a 2", just uses up more of your in focus travel. Wedges definitely give he best views!

Peter

On 11/02/2017 at 15:48, Solar B said:

I think thats because the Baader CC uses a prism

It does have a prism but not used in the conventional internal refraction or full reflection way like binoculars. The front face is used as an uncoated mirror surface (providing the light path to the lens) but 96% of the light passes through that face and emerges safely from the back of the prism. This Baader manual (page 5) gives the Baader view of things.

Using this idea, someone has built a solar newtonian with an uncoated mirror ... seems to work but still sounds scary to me!

AndyG

23 hours ago, John said:

Checked with APM /Lunt direct at the time as didn't want to risk, they confirmed all ok as I was initially apprehensive - definitely safety first with solar would no way want to risk ? 

Also wanted to check my refractor model of scope was compatible with solar as some I believe are not, all confirmed ok

Archived