SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lakeside Focuser and connecting to laptop

Hello,

Just wanted to check something. The Lakeside has a manual control unit, which you can run a USB cable to a laptop to control. Actually there is a ribbon type cable that feeds in to the control box (from the Lakeside), and then there is another cable out via USB. I was wondering is it actually possible to remove the control box completely - i.e. go straight from the Lakeside to the PC with just one cable ? (and then control it with something like Sequence Generator Pro) - i.e. is the manual control box necessary for PC control ?

Thanks

Alistair

I use a Lakeside focuser.  I think that you need the control box for using locally to the scope when calibrating the focuser.  In principal, you could lengthen the ribbon cable, but I don't think you could not the control box.  It's also necessary to have a local control box for focussing when you are using the scope visually.

Chris 

• 8 months later...

You will need a stepper motor controller, the motor alone cannot be controlled directly from a computer. It doesn't necessarily have to be the lakeside control box e.g. you could also use a Mout hub pro or Pegasus Astro Ultimate hub for example which have the controller built in (but you might have to make up a custom cable).

1 hour ago, AngryDonkey said:

You will need a stepper motor controller, the motor alone cannot be controlled directly from a computer. It doesn't necessarily have to be the lakeside control box e.g. you could also use a Mout hub pro or Pegasus Astro Ultimate hub for example which have the controller built in (but you might have to make up a custom cable).

Ah right okay. I just got a Rigrunner for use as a 12v power hub and have a separate usb hub and dew controller.

I'm now wondering if I would be better off with the Mount hub or Pegasus unit as they combine dew controller, focuser controller, power and usb hub into one unit. I setup and tear down each time, but could leave a single unit mounted on top of the OTA. That is very tempting.

Andy.

Archived