Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Oman

AngryDonkey

Hello!

My name is Mike and although I am from Austria I currently live in the Sultanate of Oman where the skies are clear almost every night of the year but the sky pollution (in Muscat) is so severe that a 3h drive, an off-road vehicle and donkey repellent (-> dog) is necessary to get to the nearest dark spot and take some decent images (not to mention goats, sand storms, mosquitos and 30+ temperatures)... I guess each location has it's challenges :-)

I've had an interest in astronomy for a long time but have only last year decided to spend some money on a good 'starter' (short focal length) astrophotography setup and have been climbing the steep learning curve ever since. In a strange, masochistic kind of way it has been mostly fun so I'm not thinking of quitting any time soon (even though I have imposed a spending cap for now to avoid marital problems).

I plan to learn a lot more and hope that at some stage I will be able to give something back as the level of help and support in getting me up and running from random stranger has been nothing short of amazing.

Clear skies,

Mike

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, Mike, and welcome to SGL - it's great to have you aboard!

We love helping to find answers to any & all astro-questions, so never feel shy in asking away in all of these many forums. You'll be amazed at how soon you, too, will be giving the answers!

Starry Skies -

Dave

Hi Mike and welcome to SGL, you must be pretty dedicated to travel 3 hours to a remote spot such as in your picture. The structure to the left of the photo looks most interesting, does it have history ? enjoy the forum :)

Hi John,

The tower is part of a group of Beehive tombs which are dotted around the plateau. Little is known about these tombs but they have probably been constructed 2500 BC or earlier. They are hollow in the middle and you can crawl in through a small entrance on the side. Some good dry stone wall construction!

Welcome Mike. I lived in the Emirates years ago and always enjoyed popping across the border to Oman for stargazing. I got to some pretty remote spots in the mountains and then also down the coast near Sur.

It was the insect life that worried me: camel spiders in particular. Everyone said they were harmless, but they looked very scary. It was also said that they don't like light (they are active at night) - so if you shine a torch at one they are likely to dash for the nearest dark spot, e.g. up one's trouser leg. And then there were the scorpions.....

All the best!

Jeremy

You use the Dog to fend-off the Spiders & Snakes? Sounds like where I live - along the shore of Lake Champlain, a long and deep lake separating the states of Vermont & New York. No big, scary Spiders are indigenous - but we do have a Sea-Monster, his name is "Champ." *

When the European's first came here, they noted that the local Native-People had their Dogs swim ahead of their canoes, and, when they asked about this, were told that: "There's a Monster in the lake. So our Dogs will get eaten first if the Monster is out hunting for food." So the Sea-Monster is a very old species over here. The European settlers thought this was a good idea. So they stole the Native's Dogs and had them swim ahead of their boats, too! :p

Not sure how he got the name 'Champ,' though likely it was awhile ago as a contraction of 'Champlain,' the name has stuck and gone national - *

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champ_(folklore)

We have passed laws to make 'Champ' a protected-species. So if you see him you can give him a scratch to his ears, feed him a sandwich, etc. - but if you whack him with a paddle, you'll go to jail!

Enjoy -

Dave

089.jpg

Hi Mike and welcome to SGL!

I know what you mean about the conditions in Oman, I am based in Bahrain and have the dust, LP, humidity, some mozzies and lizards and HUGE ants.  There are no wild donkeys here, but I have had tear gas a few times :hmh:

With the over abundance of sunshine here I started Solar observing in 2012, maybe you could give it a try (if you can free up the funds without the wife finding out:happy7:)

David.

Hi David,

Yes solar observing has crossed my mind as well but I think I can't justify any more expenditure at the moment. I have invested in some Astrodon narrow band filters though so should be able to have a go with those even from within the city. Tear gas sounds interesting, don't they like astronomers there?

Archived