Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Belated birthday present: monopod + pistol grip ball head for the big binoculars

My birthday was just over a week ago, but today I celebrated with my mum, my sister and some friends who live further away. I got a real treat in the form of a Benro MAD49A monopod and a FalconEyes FT-011H pistol grip ball head. The monopod is very solid, and extends to 191 cm. It is made of an aluminium-magnesium alloy, not as light as carbon, but pretty light.

IMAG1177.jpg

IMAG1178.jpg

IMAG1179.jpg

The ball head is very solid indeed. I will write a full review when I get a chance to use it with my Helios Apollo 15x70 HDs. It should also be handy for use with the 100-400mm zoom

Nice kit. Got the same grip, and a similar monopod for my binoculars too. Works pretty well, but for close to zenith views it's best to use whilst sitting down for best views, but for all other views works very well stood up, as long as you have a good stance. 

Congratulations Michael, I have a similar pistol grip on an Andoer  monopod, not a Manfrotto for sure but not at all bad either.  The multi-segment compact mono-pod makes for a versatile bit of kit. I've found  that sat comfortably I can use  the monopod  open at a  fairly short length with its base tucked into my midriff (!) and the pistol grip/binos angled as necessary. Not a position to hold for hours but quite comfy for a useful time.

Cheers everyone. That Benro MAD49A monopod is really sturdy, I must say. I was considering a cheaper monopod which could stretch to 172cm, but I am very glad I found this and put it on my wish list. At 69 euro it isn't very expensive either, but it seems to ooze quality. The pistol grip is also a hefty piece of metal. Both look like they were made to last. Their cloud magnet properties seem to be the only downside ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived