Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter in pretty poor conditions 29.01.2017

Pete Presland

Not sure what woke me up this morning at 5:30am, maybe some sort of inbuilt "clear sky" alarm. A quick peak out the backdoor up at Leo, which looked pretty decent transparency wise and my mind was made up. Everything was still pretty damp outside and a few clouds were still leaving in the south. With a poor forecast for the rest of the week, a short session it was going to be.

Quickly set up and realised the seeing conditions certainly didn't match the transparency! :mad:

I did have a few things I wanted to iron out regarding the debayer settings on my Asi224mc.

I thought I had been selecting the correct RG debayer setting , but when I have processed the last couple of images the colour has been wrong. I got around this by selecting "Force BGGR" in Autostakkert2, which made the image look correct. This morning I double checked the RG setting in Firecapture and when I processed in Autostakkert2 selecting "Force RGGB" the image looked correct. So not sure what I have been doing on the previous couple of sessions!

Neither image is up to much to be honest, due to the conditions. The first is with the Asi120mm, 7.5mins derotated in Winjupos. The second is Asi224mc, 180secs.

I am not sure I will ever prefer OSC over RGB images, from my own personal experience RGB wins in all conditions, good and bad. 

2017.01.29 06.08 RGB 7.5mins.png  2017.01.29 06.08 OSC 3mins.png

Hi Pete,

I was up at the same time  to  undertake a long drive to collect a nice 102mm refractor, and the transparency invited me to take a quick look before setting off, but i could make out no detail other than a couple of fuzzy bands on a fuzzy disc.

Hello Pete!
Really good seeing is all for planetary catches, transparency is not that important, but stability is key.
I have used ASI 224 Wred in 59 and Wblue in 99 as you can check in my images. ASI 224 is a camera with high sensitivity in red and IR and very little in blue, so we have to raise the maximum to the blue.
My debayer setting for 224 is RG and on AS! 2 it is RGGB force which allows you to get the actual color made during capture.
I do not know which telescope you used, but I think it's the C9.25. It is a great planetary telescope and you with the bad conditions you described, you should try to get as much speed as possible, ideally at least 150 to 200 fps to try to overcome the bad seeing and get as many frames as possible in a small space of time. Ideally it would be a 20,000 frames at maximum 120 sec to avoid having to defeat.
Maybe with its aperture it is difficult to get that speed, so go "more" and increase the software gain as you need to be able to lower the exposure and get more speed.
I'm telling you that you're using USB 3.0 output as well as the smallest possible ROI to frame the planet.
I wish you luck next time!
Hug!

22 hours ago, bunnygod1 said:

Not sure what woke me up this morning at 5:30am, maybe some sort of inbuilt "clear sky" alarm. A quick peak out the backdoor up at Leo, which looked pretty decent transparency wise and my mind was made up. Everything was still pretty damp outside and a few clouds were still leaving in the south. With a poor forecast for the rest of the week, a short session it was going to be.

Quickly set up and realised the seeing conditions certainly didn't match the transparency! :mad:

I did have a few things I wanted to iron out regarding the debayer settings on my Asi224mc.

I thought I had been selecting the correct RG debayer setting , but when I have processed the last couple of images the colour has been wrong. I got around this by selecting "Force BGGR" in Autostakkert2, which made the image look correct. This morning I double checked the RG setting in Firecapture and when I processed in Autostakkert2 selecting "Force RGGB" the image looked correct. So not sure what I have been doing on the previous couple of sessions!

Neither image is up to much to be honest, due to the conditions. The first is with the Asi120mm, 7.5mins derotated in Winjupos. The second is Asi224mc, 180secs.

I am not sure I will ever prefer OSC over RGB images, from my own personal experience RGB wins in all conditions, good and bad. 

2017.01.29 06.08 RGB 7.5mins.png  2017.01.29 06.08 OSC 3mins.png

Are you using a ADC Pete. Just wondering if the quality may go the shot single way more by using a ADC. especially this low.

19 hours ago, astroavani said:

Hello Pete!
Really good seeing is all for planetary catches, transparency is not that important, but stability is key.
I have used ASI 224 Wred in 59 and Wblue in 99 as you can check in my images. ASI 224 is a camera with high sensitivity in red and IR and very little in blue, so we have to raise the maximum to the blue.
My debayer setting for 224 is RG and on AS! 2 it is RGGB force which allows you to get the actual color made during capture.
I do not know which telescope you used, but I think it's the C9.25. It is a great planetary telescope and you with the bad conditions you described, you should try to get as much speed as possible, ideally at least 150 to 200 fps to try to overcome the bad seeing and get as many frames as possible in a small space of time. Ideally it would be a 20,000 frames at maximum 120 sec to avoid having to defeat.
Maybe with its aperture it is difficult to get that speed, so go "more" and increase the software gain as you need to be able to lower the exposure and get more speed.
I'm telling you that you're using USB 3.0 output as well as the smallest possible ROI to frame the planet.
I wish you luck next time!
Hug!

Thanks for the reply Avani, I ended up using the "debayer setting for 224 is RG and on AS! 2 it is RGGB force settings" which gave a good result. It is the C9.25 I use I was getting around 125 FPS, which I can capture around 20,000 fames in just over 150 seconds. I have the settings for WRed=52, WBlue=95, so I will try your suggestions next time.

47 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Are you using a ADC Pete. Just wondering if the quality may go the shot single way more by using a ADC. especially this low.

No not using the ADC Neil, but it is on the wanted list, especially seeing how low Saturn looked on Saturday morning. Might need a chain saw for next doors conifers as well :icon_biggrin:

Archived