Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Danny83uk

Came across this image now to recreate it myself?

While looking up using mosaic images at x5 barlow to create more detailed surface images i stumbled across this.(Enlarge to see all the magnificiant detail, This is not my image and i take no credit for it).

6817466372_e3ed4aa781_o.jpg

Original article Jaw dropping mosaic

So now ive seen this i want to try it myself. Ive seen the option on DSS to create mosaic's but have yet to try it, or even if it would work.

Anyway i jusy wanted to share this splendid piece of photography.

Edited by Danny83uk
Spell checked post 'post'

I would stack each pane in Autostakkert, then do sharpening and wavelets in Registax, taking care to make them match as near as possible in curves/contrast etc then use Microsoft ICE to stitch them.

• Like 2

I would suggest using software to help you manage the mosaic as well, nothing worse than spending hours building a huge mosaic only to realise that you missed a bit.

10 minutes ago, D4N said:

I would suggest using software to help you manage the mosaic as well, nothing worse than spending hours building a huge mosaic only to realise that you missed a bit.

perils and pitfalls of a mosaic

You mean like this

• Like 2

The first time I tried a moon mosaic, I was POSITIVE I had gotten everything, and, after processing and stitching, 2 huge holes...

52 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

perils and pitfalls of a mosaic

You mean like this

oh no. I intend to start easy on a small cresent.

• Like 1

I make these kinds of mosaics with a Celestron C8, and a planetary camera (nowadays the ASI178MM). I get results of 80-110 Mpixel depending on the phase. Moon05012017mosaic.jpg

I typically take 40-60 videos of 1000 frames, stack between 100 and 500 of these depending on seeing, using AS!2 (its batch processing option is brilliant: just open the whole lot in one go), and sharpen each resulting image in ImPPG using deconvolution and unsharp masking. I find this works better than Registax wavelets on the moon and sun, and it allows batch processing. I then stitch the results in MS-ICE. WHen I used the ASI174MM I used to need more videos, due to the lower resolution of that camera. I go over the surface systematically with LOADS of overlap, and have yet to miss a bit (touch wood).

• Like 3

So ive been out. Heres my first attempt.

Signed.thumb.jpg.dc87cbd17205406f9567c153c1114a7a.jpg

Now trying a second with a filter on the lens to take a little of the shine out.

• Like 4