SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Came across this image now to recreate it myself?

Danny83uk

While looking up using mosaic images at x5 barlow to create more detailed surface images i stumbled across this.(Enlarge to see all the magnificiant detail, This is not my image and i take no credit for it).

6817466372_e3ed4aa781_o.jpg

Original article Jaw dropping mosaic

So now ive seen this i want to try it myself. Ive seen the option on DSS to create mosaic's but have yet to try it, or even if it would work.

Anyway i jusy wanted to share this splendid piece of photography.

I make these kinds of mosaics with a Celestron C8, and a planetary camera (nowadays the ASI178MM). I get results of 80-110 Mpixel depending on the phase. Moon05012017mosaic.jpg

I typically take 40-60 videos of 1000 frames, stack between 100 and 500 of these depending on seeing, using AS!2 (its batch processing option is brilliant: just open the whole lot in one go), and sharpen each resulting image in ImPPG using deconvolution and unsharp masking. I find this works better than Registax wavelets on the moon and sun, and it allows batch processing. I then stitch the results in MS-ICE. WHen I used the ASI174MM I used to need more videos, due to the lower resolution of that camera. I go over the surface systematically with LOADS of overlap, and have yet to miss a bit (touch wood).

• 2 months later...

Archived