Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New iOptron CEM25P < +/- 10 arc sec PE

ecuador

iOptron has improved what was already my favorite portable AP mount. The CEM25P now actually guarantees a periodic error of less than +/- 10 arc sec, which guarantee, as far as I know, is unprecedented for this category/price (£799 currently at Altair Astro). You can read my full review here, although with the winter weather I have only managed a couple of decent sessions.

Overall, it includes some improvements over its predecessors ZEQ25 and CEM25, while retaining the amazing lift/weight ratio it is known for and my unit does actually show a PE that is well bellow the specified +/- 10" (less than 2 cycles were recorded, so if I record more to remove non-PE noise it might be even less):

CEM25PE.png

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

There's no doubt they can produce the goods, let's hope they've improved their quality control.

Dave

At least they seem pretty confident with that guarantee! And it is something you can measure and see if your mount does indeed perform to spec.

When I received my ZEQ25, with which I have been very happy (it made my HEQ5 Pro look like a weird old relic), it did require some tuning at first. For example the polar scope was not well aligned (which is a requirement for a high-precision polar scope), and there was a little play in the RA axis. Those two issues took 15 minutes of my time each, after iOptron tech support sent me the instructions (pdfs with images and descriptions) and everything was great afterwards, and in general you can expect some things to go a bit out of whack even during shipping, but the CEM25P arrived seemingly perfect. No play, perfectly aligned polar scope, really low PE out of the box, let's hope that is a representation of what most will receive.

3 minutes ago, ronin said:

Anyone know if they have up graded the motors? I read problems of the torgue being low and if anything prevented their movement then troubles occurred. As in they stopped working any more.

I will try the C9.25 on it one of these days and tell you how it does. That should require some torque...

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I had to rebuild my Ieq45 with HP worm, new sealed bearings, line the aluminium bearing surface with brass, fit finer tooth wheels, belt and belt tensioners, worked a treat after that :grin:

Dave

Well, the original iEQ45 was released in 2010 if I remember correctly, or even earlier, and iOptron started in 2007, so I guess it was baby steps ;)

At least your altitude bolt didn't bend though! :D

59 minutes ago, ecuador said:

Well, the original iEQ45 was released in 2010 if I remember correctly, or even earlier, and iOptron started in 2007, so I guess it was baby steps ;)

At least your altitude bolt didn't bend though! :D

Mine was the first upgrade with proper clutches 2013 I think, very nice latitude adjustment bolt :grin:

At least they keep trying to improve their products.

Dave

• 11 months later...

Archived