Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

Thalestris24

Narrower narrowband?

8 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi. I think that's wipe in StarTools. Also very good.

I've used wipe before but it was unpredictable on my images and sometimes made a complete mess!

22 minutes ago, Gina said:

DBE is an excellent tool and not too difficult to get the hang of.  Use the online tutorials.

I have them :) I've had them for ages.... Just for fun, I looked up the HST spec for their Ha and the bandwidth was in the region of 20 - Angstroms! They should be giving them away - free with every scope! I dream...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thalestris24 said:

I've used wipe before but it was unpredictable

Oh dear. I'm the other way. I struggled with the PI trial version. I had to use gimp in conjunction with it to get the gradients removed. Me of course: impatient.

1 minute ago, alacant said:

Oh dear. I'm the other way. I struggled with the PI trial version. I had to use gimp in conjunction with it to get the gradients removed. Me of course: impatient.

I've had a poor 12 months of imaging mostly because of the darned weather so I've somehow not really acquired much worthy of what I'd call 'heavy duty processing'. Not to mention my inherent processing laziness...

1 hour ago, Thalestris24 said:

Not to mention my inherent processing laziness...

Well it is  "only a hobby after all..." :angel9:  :hello:

• Like 1

Was just wondering whether anyone has successfully imaged in nb in a red zone? Any example images?

Slightly off topic but this NB filter can be adjusted to incredibly narrow bandpass across an enormous range of wavelengths. It's a money saver if you look at it that way! The problem is that it is a little large for most amateur drawtubes. It's a snug fit in the altitude bearing of the VLT, though. They knock 'em out down the road at the Marseille Institute of Astro Physics. Wouldn't fit in my Panda, though. Doh.

NTT%20VLT%20INTERFEROMETRIC%20NB%20DETEC

Olly

PS Astrodons never looked so cheap!!!

Edited by ollypenrice
PS
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

Was just wondering whether anyone has successfully imaged in nb in a red zone? Any example images?

I may have a slightly darker sky than yours Louise, NELM 4.2 on a very good night, but can easily drop to 2.5 or worse. Here is 90 min on the Rosette with 3nm Astrodon and ZWO ASI1600 camera.

ZWO Test.png

It can be done.

• Like 1

Hi Louise, I'm on the edge of South London so my sky is mostly orange.

This is a single 30min Astrodon 3nm sub.

Dave

California-neb-005HA3.png

• Like 1

I've got 7nm Baader NB filters on my SCT that work fine in orange skies.

Dave

2 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Of course, I should have specified "7nm in a red zone"...

Yes Louise, but these kind gentlemen are trying to 'upgrade' you :) 

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Yes Louise, but these kind gentlemen are trying to 'upgrade' you :) 

I know! But it's out of the question for the forseeable future. Maybe I'll just image in infra red.

• Like 1

I've some old 7nm Baader images on this laptop but I'll have to reprocess them as my main computer is still in storage. I'll see what I can do tomorrow for you.

Having used the Baader 7nm for a couple of years I was so impressed by the work that Chris Bailey was showing on "Astroimaging UK" using a 3.5nm Baader that I bought one last year.My best investment of the year by far and at an affordable price.If you have any doubts about the Baader, go and have a look at his results.

I found this comparison between a Baader 3.5nm and 7nm by astrodude who appears to have taken the images from Guernsey. My old eyes can't discern much, if any, difference (stars are dimmer with the 3.5nm but you'd expect that) and I don't suppose the poster has much lp. There was also this thread from a couple of years ago and updated last year. I've not been able to find any transmission spec on the 3.5nm, yet you would think Baader would want to promote it? It's £315 from flo, and if I close my eyes I could click on buy and cry after... I dunno...

Louise

Edited by Thalestris24

I was lucky enough to purchase a set of Astrodons, Ha LRGB, for £500, which included an 5nm Ha.

Had a quick test with the 5nm when the near full moon was up and there was fog about that made the sky very orange.
Not exactly a red zone but near enough that night.
Was very pleasantly surprised at was captured in 300sec subs, a new lease of life for imaging here.

I would keep an eye out for something secondhand, they do pop-up now again.

This was just 5x300secs.

m35-ha.jpg

41 minutes ago, wxsatuser said:

I was lucky enough to purchase a set of Astrodons, Ha LRGB, for £500, which included an 5nm Ha.

Had a quick test with the 5nm when the near full moon was up and there was fog about that made the sky very orange.
Not exactly a red zone but near enough that night.
Was very pleasantly surprised at was captured in 300sec subs, a new lease of life for imaging here.

I would keep an eye out for something secondhand, they do pop-up now again.

This was just 5x300secs.

m35-ha.jpg

But there's nothing like the real thing! I would suppose the Baader 3.5 nn would be slightly better than the Astrodon 5 nm for keeping the lp out. - and the 2" Baader is less than half the new price of the 5 nm / 50 mm Astrodon.

Louise

After a look through old images I found this 2 hour stack of 10min subs of NGC 281 through 7nm Baader with my Megrez 90 and Trius 694

Pacman 12 frame Ha stack.png

From Ruislip, Bortle 8-9 NELM 4.2 at best.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now