Narrowband

Superb transparency for galaxies .

cotterless45

Stunning transparency from 3-5.30 am. The seeing wasn't up to much , enough to spot a small dark barge on the northern belt of Jupiter . Some good colour and fine belts , just set the focus and watch them drift in and out. 150 magnification produced the best results. The sky must have been severely washed of muck. Just stepping out of the back door , it looked stunning.

Just set up the Newt (yikes !) and got the focuser nearly opposite the weights. This gave good comfort to the north , east and swinging around to the south .
M51 looked spectacular with clear structure to NGC 5195, the zenith being very dark. Canes Venatici ,Coma Berenice's , and Ursa Major providing the best views. Both Virgo and Leo were high above town lights with little contrast.
A lovely galaxy session catching,
NGC 4631 (C32), the elongate "whale" right up to x120 where it streaked across the fov.
NGC 4656/57 averted view of the "hockey stick".
NGC 4214 an irregular bright +9.7 galaxy.
NGC 4490 a bright "cocoon".
NGC 4449 (C21) delightfully granulated , resolves into stars.
NGC 4565, the bright "needle".
NGC 5005 (C29) lovely and bright.
M63, the "Sunflower", M64 and the very bright M94.

Very very pleased to see the galaxies again, especially the leaping whale,not a scene to be missed in the early hours. Air is still, lights are off and it's magic.IMG_4433.JPG

Had a look at M3 , resolves into a sparkling globular with bright surrounding  field stars. Quite bizarre to see from Vega,the whole of Cygnus up with Hercules very high. Enjoyed M13 and M92.

The most stunning view was "Bode's" ,where the fov was filled with stars. This compared very favourably with the view from Skye with stars close in to M81.Yet again no sign of Comet V2 Johnson in Bootes. I scanned the area several times , but nothing not stellar even at x120.

It got quite chill , had to reset the collimation. I do like this scope, it's almost as good as a frac, but opens up some deep sky.

Clear skies and early mornings !

Old Nick.

Nice venture out Nick. I was itching to get out last night but the clouds drifted in and the forecast had it blanket all night.

Woke up at 4:30 and it was clear. Jupiter was hanging out high in the south near Spica. 

I was very tempted but with set up and cool down time I'd be looking at half 5 before decent views and then the sun would be upon me. Shame I wasn't an hour earlier. 

Some cracking targets high in the sky to browse and thanks for posting again. 

Archived