Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet C/2015 V2 Johnson

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to know that it's there and can be seen. I've been trying to spot it for some time without success. It's in a heavily light polluted part of the sky for me at the moment, and unless I stay up into the early hours, a heavily obstructed part. Still it's getting a little brighter every day and has a long way to go before it's at its closest. I'll keep looking.

• 4 weeks later...

I was able to see Comet Johnson in a early morning session today in Hercules.  I was using my Z10 and thought it was challenging.  It was pretty faint, but I'm confident I actually saw it.    Sky Tools 3 estimated it to be about 10.4.   That may be right because it looked like a galaxy about that magnitude from my skies.    It doesn't seem to be brightening as much predicted.   Will have to wait and see.   It will be in excellent position to view.   None of this low on the horizon during twilight.

• 3 weeks later...

I had my first view of Comet Johnson tonight, after searching since Christmas is was good to see it ! It was much smaller and fainter than Comet 41P and of a more streamlined appearance - it was tough to observe though.  In the 4" at 31x and to confirm i changed eyepiece to 38x and the smudge remained, possibly around 9th magnitude. It's well placed in Hercules.

andrew

I also got my first glimpse of Comet Johnson after many months of trying - I've been living under permacloud for the last two months and haven't had the scope out once since mid-January! It wasn't brilliantly obvious in the eyepiece, and not helped by being in a pretty light polluted part of my sky at the moment, but it was definitely there, and it was great to see it after all the searching. It's got until June before its at its closest, by which time it will be brighter and better placed for me, so I'll keep checking. Hopefully I'll be able to get my bins on it eventually.

I got 41P too. A much more obvious spot.

Perfect skies last night allowed a nice view of this comet through the SE8, estimated mag of 9.5 and with an appreciable tail making it look like the real thing. Probably a more visually appealing sight than the diffuse nebulous mass that is 41P, and still 3 months from its peak. 

Got it tonight under far from perfect skies :rolleyes2:

Quite hard to find with my ED120 but got there eventually. Certainly seemed an elongated shape, more so with averted vision.

10 hours ago, John said:

Got it tonight under far from perfect skies :rolleyes2:

Quite hard to find with my ED120 but got there eventually. Certainly seemed an elongated shape, more so with averted vision.

Would say the "t" word?

• 3 weeks later...

Had another view of Johnson tonight, clear but not very transparent. It was brighter than a few weeks ago but not much to see at x31 and x50.  Looked at 41P which was even more of a diffused blob at 31x

andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Having first located this comet in the telescope this evening I was able to then find it with 7x50s, but just barely. The scattered cirrus clouds made it difficult however.

I could just about make out the comet as a faint fuzzy on the evening of the 22 April both through my bins and my ED80. Imaging was more successful.  Worth following this comet over the next couple of months, and I might have another go at imaging it. 

• 3 weeks later...

The comet is looking good tonight - the best view so far i think. It's just about dark and at 38x with averted version the elongation is getting more apparent.  Lovely clear night here.

andrew

Archived