Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Easter star camp subject to fair weather

Nice pics  Jules and Damian and thanks for a very pleasant couple of days. Weather could have been a little kinder but good use was made of the clear-er spells  that we got.  Damian's star map brain (mapstar?) was certainly, as Jules has mentioned, a useful facility to have on board. A few  firsts for me and a some notable wow moments mainly courtesy of Damian's 22" Dob. M13 looked  like an explosion of stars.  It was also fortuitous timing to see what I've now discovered was Europa being eclipsed by Jupiter and a that glimpse of the GRS was good.  I am still getting to grips with the ED100 and  am increasingly pleased with its abilities - for just a mere 4"!  The  trip has given me much food for thought mainly, if ever there was any doubt, that there is still much to learn.  A few thoughts: Any ideas that big scopes can't do small star parties completely blown away by Damian's "portable" 22" Dob - what a credit of design, build  and function that is to him, that 22" is enough to give anyone the aperture bug, for me - no not yet but never say never;  I was also really surprised how similar in size (objective weight aside) Jules ED120  looked in comparison to the ED100, it carries that extra 20mm very well, no wonder its a well regarded scope. A couple of practical lessons learned: don't give up on sky conditions because they are a bit iffy, there are some good observations to be snatched and very pertinently, prepare well for the cold and don't forget your woolly hat, I thought I had enough layers on - nope! Brrrrr!

Thanks to Jules for prompting & organising this trip away and thanks again to Jules and Clair and Damian for good company, useful astro' discussions and a few other tales over a couple of beers. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only just catching up with SGL after my trip to the welsh valleys this weekend.

Ready for my bed but as always it's great to be under the stars in good company and a chance to share knowledge is always interesting.

Glad you enjoyed the event Ian and thank you for the scope compliments, we shall have to do it again and hope for better skies.:grin:

Archived