Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Easter star camp subject to fair weather

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will email the site owner later, no need to book a spot, just turn up and pay on arrival, but let the owner know your with the star party as i hope they will allocate an area for us, i will mention this in my email to them

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, mapstar said:

Hi Jules,

Have you heard back from the site owners? 

Yes, sorry for late reply, my internet is behaving like a three year old toddler!, as said in a previous post we just turn up and pay on arrival, hopefully we will have an area to our selves, but cant guarantee this, also note they dont take card payment so a trip to a cash point before setting of 

10 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Yes, sorry for late reply, my internet is behaving like a three year old toddler!, as said in a previous post we just turn up and pay on arrival, hopefully we will have an area to our selves, but cant guarantee this, also note they dont take card payment so a trip to a cash point before setting of 

Just worried that the site will have some places left Jules as the schools are off at present. 

2 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Just worried that the site will have some places left Jules as the schools are off at present. 

I have been at this time and (Easter school hols) and had no problem but a good few campers will only be on site for the weekend hence i planned this for the Tuesday to allow the site to lose a good amount of people, they have a total of 3 fields, one being a huge over flow field

Hi Jules, just wondered what your thoughts were on weather prospects for next week. I've looked around quite a few weather sites and get a somewhat mixed picture. At the moment it looks like there will be quite a bit of cloud around, but with possibilities of some breaks. According to Metcheck Tuesday night looks reasonably promising. 

1 hour ago, mapstar said:

Still up for it so will be setting off around 3:30pm eta half 5. Clear skies booked :thumbright:

Cool, will you bring the 22" or some thing smaller, if we get a bit of clear sky the 22" will be totally amazing

5 hours ago, nightfisher said:

Cool, will you bring the 22" or some thing smaller, if we get a bit of clear sky the 22" will be totally amazing

I am that Jules and under Dark transparent skies it really does blow yer socks off.

Just hope we get some :happy7:

1 minute ago, mapstar said:

Dark transparent skies it really does blow yer socks off.

Wish the skies had been better when I got a look through your scope Damian. It was amazing to see spiral arms in M51, but I'm sure it is so much better with a transparent sky.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Wish the skies had been better when I got a look through your scope Damian. It was amazing to see spiral arms in M51, but I'm sure it is so much better with a transparent sky.

It's like seeing Saturn for the first time Stu, I'll never forget M51 in the transparent Galloway skies. Stunning  

Just returned home and a pleasure to be up in the dales again.

Had a good outing even though the skies only gave us a fleeting glimpse of their potential. 

The site is in a valley but has a fair east/west view.

East

20170419_121242.thumb.jpg.4262781a3b4f91d2c51f8172f5c51e74.jpg

West

20170419_121249.thumb.jpg.2794c8d874b140a5ca14a04cf7ae0859.jpg

Our little corner of the field all set up

20170419_121209.thumb.jpg.ec9b825b07c43a2fe3af23acf955092c.jpg

The facilities were very clean and very good.

I took a walk up the pennine trail on wednesday morning covering approx 8 miles.The view from the top down the valley was stunning.

20170419_135012.thumb.jpg.f1a660e19e8c9eb1f6c81657f69eb8ba.jpg

Good to see Jules again and wife to be Claire, and to meet Ian too. Great to get away and meet like minded people.

Really glad we got to view some objects and hopefully the next time we'll be able to see a few more.

Safe journey home

Damian

1 hour ago, mapstar said:

20170419_121209.thumb.jpg.ec9b825b07c43a2fe3af23acf955092c.jpg

I took a walk up the pennine trail on wednesday morning covering approx 8 miles.

Could you no just hae looked throw the "Dobsonian Dual Purpose Pie Measuring Device" and saved all that exertion?

:p

I am also back home now, this was a lovely little break away, in very good company, it was a pleasure to meet up with Damian for first time since PSP, and the 22" was stunning to look through, Damian really knows how to navigate the night sky.

Despite a lot of cloud, we had a good run Tuesday night, plenty of galaxies and some stunning globs, M51 and M13 looking like images in glossy magazines, we viewed a Jovian moon eclipse and the GRS was prominent

Very good that Ian (alfian) made the trip, his camper made a good central command and tea drinking facility (plus beer) great to see his ED100 set up on the AZ4 with tall pillar and big finder scope, the social aspect was one of the best star parties ever, a bit of a shame a couple more did not make the trip, but there is always next year

Archived