Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Easter star camp subject to fair weather

I plan to attend my favorite camp site over the Easter holidays here  http://www.ushagap.co.uk/

The skies are some of the darkest i have seen and the campsite is a small piece of paradise, with superb facilities in an exquisite part of the English countryside, I am hoping a very small number of you good people will take the time to enjoy a relaxing break, so i am throwing this open to about 4 or 5 people, there is no EHU as yet, there will be a 1/3rd moon but this will not rise till around 0300 so will be more of a daytime Luna.

The campsite owner has been contacted by the campaign for dark skies asking if they will promote astronomy on their site, please note this is not an official star party and we may not be able to set up in a tight group, but i will be contacting the owners to see if they can reserve a small area for us,

this will be from Tuesday 18th April and no limit how long you stay, i am planning this from the Tuesday as this site gets rather busy at bank holiday weekends

If interested please post here  

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jules. I might be interested in this. Would have to check that I can get the 4 days off work for that Easter week with my boss. Also, need to make sure my son has not ruined my tent last time he borrowed it (still not returned it to me yet). I'm off work this week so I can get the tent back off my son and check it out later on this week, and if it is OK and I can get the time off I would attend for hopefully some nice dark skies! :) 

27 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

the campsite is a small piece of paradise, with superb facilities in an exquisite part of the English countryside

Jules, are you sure you are not an estate agent? Seriously folks, Swaledale is indeed a lovely spot. Tan Hill, highest pub in England isn't far up the road. Count me in Jules.

3 minutes ago, Alfian said:

Jules, are you sure you are not an estate agent? Seriously folks, Swaledale is indeed a lovely spot. Tan Hill, highest pub in England isn't far up the road. Count me in Jules.

Not been to Tan hill, we go to the Farmers inn at Muker, food is always fantastic, yes Swaledale is a wonderful location, plenty of good walks and unspoilt scenery to enjoy

Its good to meet up with like minded souls Jules but memories of the last wash out still linger (!)  so its a good  point  worth making. A forecast of "fair weather" would I assume, perhaps naively, at least give some chance of getting the 'scopes out. 

3 minutes ago, Alfian said:

Its good to meet up with like minded souls Jules but memories of the last wash out still linger (!)  so its a good  point  worth making. A forecast of "fair weather" would I assume, perhaps naively, at least give some chance of getting the 'scopes out. 

Fair weather will mean mainly DRY, no snow, with a strong chance of some clear skies, no hurricanes...dont mind a spitfire flypast lol

I have emailed the owner and she is going to book us in (she is Keen on this event) i will need to give numbers and fairly soon, this was always going to be a rather small group, once i submit numbers she will book it, and when we arrive we pay on the day, cash or cheque, they dont have electronic card payment, i plan to be there Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night

Do we have any more takers on this, please be aware its not a star party as we will be on a camp site with non astro people, hence the plan is to keep it a small group so we can pitch up in a corner away from other folk, the idea being to enjoy a few days away walking/drinking eating/relaxing during day and hopefully a bit of star gazing at night

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still up for it Jules. It is really good up that way. I recced a spot near the camp site in January and although the clouds spoilt the trip it showed the potential of being an excellent spot.

• 3 weeks later...

Now the peak star party is over, time to think about this one, however i really do need to email the owner of Usha gap in the next couple of days, so if you want sky that is darker than a coal hold, this is the one to go for, i will give it a couple more days then we will go with the numbers to date

1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

I will email the site owner Monday with the numbers, looks like this is going to be a rather small gathering, but nice

I may use the site as a base for going out from as the horizons look limited to the south and maybe not give me the targets I'm after.

All in though looking forward to it.

1 minute ago, mapstar said:

I may use the site as a base for going out from as the horizons look limited to the south and maybe not give me tge targets I'm after.

All in though looking forward to it.

Damien, when do you plan to arrive and leave, myself and Claire should get there about 11am Tuesday morning and leave Thursday, maybe Friday if the weather is good, i have heard a slight Rumour that Easter week is looking good

Hi Jules,  happy April 1st, pleased the ED120 is staying, fell for that one, must be getting old! To business, I was originally planning Wed - Friday, but it would be nice to do Tues - Thursday so I'll see if I can swing it. I'll let you know later or tomorrow.

Archived