Narrowband

DSM App - any good

Bart

Hello all

i wondered if anyone knew how reliable and accurate the DSM (dark sky meter) app on the iPhone is for measuring sky quality? It states its a recognised method but the real meters are expensive do u wondered how comparable they are. Last night my sky varied from 20.3 - 21.3 which seems a big difference. Thanks

Barry

First time I had seen it, but piqued my interest, so paid the 99p.  As you say seems to suggest it's as good as a SQM, but I guess the real aim is as a comparative tool, with the online map to show local differences.  If it stops raining, I will give it a try ?

Cheers

Mike

I installed it too, not so long ago.   It seems to be consistent within itself.  How it compares to 'proper' SQM measuring tools, I have no idea. 

Given that all iphones (of a given model) are created with the same camera sensor, I suppose the app calibration could be reasonably good. 

Archived