Which Alt Azimuth Mount & Tripod combination ?

jabeoo1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, jabeoo1 said:

Can't wait to try this out in the field !  Big thanks to SGL members John, Nightfisher & JG777 for replying to my ads and helping supply and source the Mount & Tripod.  

TAKSABRE.JPG

NICE

:headbang:

Lovely set up indeed.

As much as I enjoy my Giro iii and still use it for work based observing, I have found that as I tend to observe small numbers of objects in sessions and sketch them, I have found my driven EQ5 a brilliant solution for my 120ED, 102ED and 100mm PSTAL mod. You can pick up the head and motors used for reasonable sums of money and definitely worth a try.

26 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Lovely set up indeed.

As much as I enjoy my Giro iii and still use it for work based observing, I have found that as I tend to observe small numbers of objects in sessions and sketch them, I have found my driven EQ5 a brilliant solution for my 120ED, 102ED and 100mm PSTAL mod. You can pick up the head and motors used for reasonable sums of money and definitely worth a try.

I'm quite similar now Shane. If I want to star hop across quite a few objects then I use the alt az, I just can't do it with an EQ! It's still the quickest way to get going.

If I want to observe the sun, moon or planets then I will likely opt for the Vixen GP i.e. same as your EQ5. Much easier not having to nudge all the time.

49 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Lovely set up indeed.

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

I'm quite similar now Shane. If I want to star hop across quite a few objects then I use the alt az, I just can't do it with an EQ! It's still the quickest way to get going.

If I want to observe the sun, moon or planets then I will likely opt for the Vixen GP i.e. same as your EQ5. Much easier not having to nudge all the time.

Shane & Stu, I can completely see the logic here, makes perfect sense.  I do spend quite a long time settled on one object, often Jupiter or the Moon, and therefore nudge nudge nudge!  However I have just bought The Cambridge Double Star Atlas as I wanted to explore some of these systems.  Mainly as they aren't too affected by the light pollution.  I need to get reading Nicks/cotterless45 posts now.

Like Shane and Stu i have the giro and an EQ5 driven mount, all good but starting to wonder if the 120ED was an unnecessary purchase.....my skies just dont seem to warrant such a scope 

Just now, nightfisher said:

Like Shane and Stu i have the giro and an EQ5 driven mount, all good but starting to wonder if the 120ED was an unnecessary purchase.....my skies just dont seem to warrant such a scope 

I can't comment on the 120ED, in fact I have never looked through a frac above 100mm.  Those rare opportunities are the moments it no doubt shines, but maybe its better to downsize to 4" to take the averages rather than thrive for the optimum conditions.  If you grabbed an FC-100 it may resolve the situation :hiding:

2 hours ago, nightfisher said:

None of us gets to use what we've got as often as we'd like or deserve. That in itself doesn't mean that any of us has the wrong kit. We all live for the good times. None of us is less worthy or deserving for having what we'd like to use most when the good times come.

:happy11:

On 05/03/2017 at 16:03, nightfisher said:

You seem to be searching for something from your scopes Jules, and not finding it, but I'm not sure that I know what it is :icon_scratch:

1 hour ago, John said:

You seem to be searching for something from your scopes Jules, and not finding it, but I'm not sure that I know what it is :icon_scratch:

I can understand the feeling that it's not worth having a scope that is "too nice" for the limited use it gets. The argument would then be that one could certainly "make do" with a lesser scope on those rare occasions that the skies yield.

It is a subjective judgment, but I suspect that many here would agree that a 120ED is not a premium scope but one that certainly holds its own and is really excellent value for money. It is a trusty tool that will always be ready and is well worth having for when it's needed.

There's no need to feel like you have a vintage sports car in the garage that you can only drive twice a year. You have what you need for when you need it. No more, no less.

6 hours ago, John said:

I do find putting my feelings into words a little difficult, it just seems having a scope of this size and weight sitting in a box waiting for a decent moon, a little unnecessary, a bit overkill, I barely do any deep sky viewing, we are affected by cloud, mist,fog, rain and strong winds more up here than a lot of other places, though on odd occasion we can be above the cloud.

But on a positive note it is a superb scope, and paid for, i dont plan on selling it any time soon because quite frankly i dont have a clue what i would replace it with and if it went and then i missed it it would be hard to replace it, so for the foreseeable future its not going anywhere   

32 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

I do find putting my feelings into words a little difficult, it just seems having a scope of this size and weight sitting in a box waiting for a decent moon, a little unnecessary, a bit overkill, I barely do any deep sky viewing, we are affected by cloud, mist,fog, rain and strong winds more up here than a lot of other places, though on odd occasion we can be above the cloud.

But on a positive note it is a superb scope, and paid for, i dont plan on selling it any time soon because quite frankly i dont have a clue what i would replace it with and if it went and then i missed it it would be hard to replace it, so for the foreseeable future its not going anywhere   

Jules, can I ask a favour?

We have all tried to assist in your mission to simplify your kit and to get to a one scope situation. You have had bigger scopes and smaller scopes before, none of which quite hit the mark for various reasons.

By all accounts, you now have a lovely scope, which will do a fabulous job for lunar both visual and imaging. The 120 will give better lunar resolution than a 100ED or the little Mak, and will sit just fine on the EQ5 with a remote release on the camera to avoid vibrations.

Now, what was my favour? Well.... we are all putting up with poor weather which means we have nice kit unused. PLEASE just give it a few months and a decent run of weather before discussing thoughts of it being overkill or that a 100ED would have been enough so we can relax a little bit. Even if it is just for the sake of my blood pressure!! ;) 

Between the two scopes you have all bases covered, so all is good!!

Well I am left unsure about the sabre II.  I know the concept is great, but I instantly feel inaccurate and cumbersome without the slo-mo controls.  The joy of slowly scrolling the lunar surface has been robbed and trying to get the sweet spot in the Lunt is far from easy.  

My memory tells me push-to is beautiful with a Dob, however I can't see the wood for the trees with a Frac on here :confused1:

This would be easier to show than explain but here goes.....when using my giro (I use a home made observing seat with adjustable height which makes it easier), I tend to sit with my elbows on my knees and holding the diagonal in my hands. This allows very fine tuning with the adjustment of the position of the view and also reduces any settlement time. Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, jabeoo1 said:

Well I am left unsure about the sabre II.  I know the concept is great, but I instantly feel inaccurate and cumbersome without the slo-mo controls.  The joy of slowly scrolling the lunar surface has been robbed and trying to get the sweet spot in the Lunt is far from easy.  

My memory tells me push-to is beautiful with a Dob, however I can't see the wood for the trees with a Frac on here :confused1:

I remember this. It gets better with practice, and it is a joy for widefield. Relax and give it some time.

You can always upgrade to something that does both, like an AZ8.

:rolleyes2:

1 hour ago, iPeace said:

You can always upgrade to something that does both, like an AZ8.

There you go again Mike, continuing to try and post rationalise and justify to self... :icon_biggrin:

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Jules, can I ask a favour?

We have all tried to assist in your mission to simplify your kit and to get to a one scope situation. You have had bigger scopes and smaller scopes before, none of which quite hit the mark for various reasons.

By all accounts, you now have a lovely scope, which will do a fabulous job for lunar both visual and imaging. The 120 will give better lunar resolution than a 100ED or the little Mak, and will sit just fine on the EQ5 with a remote release on the camera to avoid vibrations.

Now, what was my favour? Well.... we are all putting up with poor weather which means we have nice kit unused. PLEASE just give it a few months and a decent run of weather before discussing thoughts of it being overkill or that a 100ED would have been enough so we can relax a little bit. Even if it is just for the sake of my blood pressure!! ;) 

Between the two scopes you have all bases covered, so all is good!!

Will do Stu, already said not planning on selling the 120 so relax, I can hear your blood pressure falling as you read this

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 16:03, nightfisher said:

:BangHead:

3 hours ago, jabeoo1 said:

I have never had a problem using my lunt B600 on an AZ4 so I'm sure a sabre mount must be even easier to use.

13 hours ago, nightfisher said:

We got clouds. Lots. But we won't give up.

tmp_28977-DSC_03822111808185.thumb.JPG.6689c24256b583fd7acc6db121d8377f.JPG

On 3/7/2017 at 15:34, spaceboy said:

I have never had a problem using my lunt B600 on an AZ4 so I'm sure a sabre mount must be even easier to use.

I think the Sabre may just be screaming out for more weight. It seems jittery with a lightweight short focal length scope on it.  I have been trying out the FC-100 on the sabre indoors, its balanced perfectly, so much so that if the clutches are completely undone the scope stays put.  Also the longer tube allows better control of the pivit points.  

Will be trying tonight on a few targets.... if it clears.  Feels smooth and not too awkward now :)

Balance & leverage seems to make a big difference. 

3 hours ago, jabeoo1 said:

I think the Sabre may just be screaming out for more weight. It seems jittery with a lightweight short focal length scope on it.  I have been trying out the FC-100 on the sabre indoors, its balanced perfectly, so much so that if the clutches are completely undone the scope stays put.  Also the longer tube allows better control of the pivit points.  

Will be trying tonight on a few targets.... if it clears.  Feels smooth and not too awkward now :)

Balance & leverage seems to make a big difference. 

James - I'd say for manual mounts like the giros and Sabre, the balance always needs to be that precise - so that there's no tilt whatsoever with the clutches loosened. I go further - even if the scope shows no movement when you free up the clutches, normally it will still be slightly front or back heavy - push the dew shield down or up a bit to find out which - and make tiny adjustments to the dovetail in the clamp so it's perfect. This means you can learn to apply just the right amount of clutch tightness for small but smooth nudges. Also means using EPs with similar weights for each entire session - you should be fine with your TV plossl set. Hope it works out for you

Archived