SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSLR debayer/demosaic

Pending moving to CCD/CMOS dedicated cameras I am using my DSLRs for imaging.

Question when processing is do I demosaic/debayer before stacking or after?

Or is this another of these famous 'suck it and see' decisions? :)

There is a benefit in calibrating before debayering, but I think it is better (or at least the same) to debayer the calibrated frames before stacking. The former, I have tested to be sure, the latter I haven't tested so it is my assumption.

1 hour ago, ecuador said:

There is a benefit in calibrating before debayering, but I think it is better (or at least the same) to debayer the calibrated frames before stacking. The former, I have tested to be sure, the latter I haven't tested so it is my assumption.

Thanks for the feedback. Agreed calibration first.

Think this needs to me take a day and try both ways on more 'scientific' basis. 

You need to debayer after calibration, but before stacking. Calibration, such as removing fixed pattern noise etc, needs to be done on a pixel by pixel basis. Stacking after debayer, otherwise same colour pixels won't line up and you lose colour information.

Archived