SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Why is my guiding drifting?

Displaying in arc-sec is good practice, but providing the pixel scale shown is correct, the guiding looks good. That suggests differential flexure is the problem. However, the RMS values don't correlate with what is showing on the screen shot. Please attach the guide log as it is hard to analyse screen shots in any depth.

• 2 weeks later...

One possibility, although probably unlikely given the graph, is that you're guiding on a hot pixel (I think this was already mentioned).

Another possibility: If your guide scope is pointing quite far away from your imaging scope and the PA is not perfect, you will get field rotation in your imaging scope.

If it's not one of those 2, common sense dictates that it must be some sort of differential between the guide camera and imaging camera. Examples: flexure, cable tug, mirror flop.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm having the same problem. I changed from and SBIG ST-I camera with big pixels to an asi 120 mini and now the image is drifting ,by the way using an OAG with a Celestron C-14 Edge HD....could it be oversampling due to the small pixels?

1 hour ago, pablotwa said:

I'm having the same problem. I changed from and SBIG ST-I camera with big pixels to an asi 120 mini and now the image is drifting ,by the way using an OAG with a Celestron C-14 Edge HD....could it be oversampling due to the small pixels?

Mine ended up being differential flexure. After a while each night it resolved itself. 

I tightened everything up and it seemed to reduce the issue dramatically. Eventually I moved to a permanent setup which tracks outside temperature so I haven't seen the issue for a long time.