Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Setting up a dual imaging rig...... some thoughts.

swag72

3 hours ago, iapa said:

I would imagine that the mount capabilities would be severely stretched for most? The Equinox ED80 comes in around 12lbs - four of them with cameras and mount plates (1 lb seems a reasonable estimate for each for each ),  so we are in the realm of the 100+ lb payload rated mounts.

I imagine that trying to line it all up would be a 12 month project; certainly where I am with very poor skies.

Too rich for my pocket anyway.

And then there is the bird's nest of cables....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, gnomus said:

in the realm of the 100+ lb payload rated mounts.

3 minutes ago, gnomus said:

And then there is the bird's nest of cables....

Just excuses.  Think of the fun setting up at a dark site having unloaded it all from the boot of the car........

well, me excuse is cost.

So far the finance director has signed of on most things, but may just balk at £10K for the MYT which is really the bottom of the scale.

Quite happy, though, to take on the challenge, if someone were to fund me :)

2 hours ago, iapa said:

well, me excuse is cost.

So far the finance director has signed of on most things, but may just balk at £10K for the MYT which is really the bottom of the scale.

Quite happy, though, to take on the challenge, if someone were to fund me :)

You're joking! :eek: The Mesu 200 is, in my opinion, better than the MYT and is marginally over half the price. Others may disagree but Paramount don't seem to do so. They say their mount is happy with a 12 inch. The Mesu wasn't even half way stressed with a 14 inch.

M51%20DEC%20VERSION%20clip-357x450.jpg

Olly

28 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

You're joking! :eek: The Mesu 200 is, in my opinion, better than the MYT and is marginally over half the price. Others may disagree but Paramount don't seem to do so. They say their mount is happy with a 12 inch. The Mesu wasn't even half way stressed with a 14 inch.

M51%20DEC%20VERSION%20clip-357x450.jpg

Olly

My favourite target at the moment.

I looked for 100 lb payload mounts.

wasn't really aware the Mesu 200, will need to look into this. May be viable option for the finance controller.

£5K for 100Kg payload - that would carry me (as I was before SHMBO made me twice the man that I was).

Not sure I am in that market yet tho' - retirement still beckons; and has been for a few years now :)

Today has not been wasted as I have yet again learnt something new.

On 29/01/2017 at 15:28, swag72 said:

Oh my Goodness - I can't imagine my husbands face if I told him I needed another 2xFSQ85, another 2xKAF8300 sensors and the Astrodon filters to match. I told him they were only £50 :D:D 

Someone in Spain after an FSQ85 on ABS, hmmm :grin:

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 15:54, ollypenrice said:

I can't see anything wrong in principle. Don't expect your scopes to line up, though, without a tilt pan adjuster. On the other hand the one with the wider FOV might well provide complete coverage of the image from the one with the longer FL.

Looks good!

In tidying up today I found a big Cassady triple bar. Tom already has a secod Tak 106. We have three full frame cameras avaialble. Noooooooooooooooo!!!! 

It's interesting to note that, by definition, a second scope is worth one F stop in equivalence.

Olly

You just said the best and worst thing ever in one sentence :)

All that work and expense to gain one F stop, ha ha. The reducer would just lose you resolution then.

My second Tak is gathering dust until I get another camera for it here at home, and mount. Could be fun to try it. I would of course need to be there in person for the inauguration of the event :)

Tom

On 1/29/2017 at 15:54, ollypenrice said:

I can't see anything wrong in principle. Don't expect your scopes to line up, though, without a tilt pan adjuster. On the other hand the one with the wider FOV might well provide complete coverage of the image from the one with the longer FL.

Looks good!

In tidying up today I found a big Cassady triple bar. Tom already has a secod Tak 106. We have three full frame cameras avaialble. Noooooooooooooooo!!!! 

It's interesting to note that, by definition, a second scope is worth one F stop in equivalence.

Olly

But surely by the time you got all three scopes in focus, it would be daylight?

41 minutes ago, gnomus said:

But surely by the time you got all three scopes in focus, it would be daylight?

I'm only doing this because of the rubbish UK weather, got another Star71 and QSI683 on it's way so only need to run two of everything ATM, having said that I've abandoned the Star71 in favour of the WO110FLT to have a go at some galaxies :grin:

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, gnomus said:

I'm sure you could get another couple of scopes on there Davey.   ...  How about a pair of white light and Ha solar scopes bolted on top of the Star 71s?

Hmm, could piggy back a 100mm refractor + Quark and the LS60DS :grin:

Dave

Archived