SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

3 Galaxies, 3 Open Clusters, 1 Planetary Nebula

cloudsweeper

Tried an early evening session, but the neighbour's new outdoor light (on until late) ruins adaptation and causes reflections, etc. - so, up at 3.00am to indulge my passion.

Aligned on Capella and Castor, and the GoTo was spot on - what a treat for spending more time on viewing than hunting!  (Although I like hunting, with the ST120.)

M67 King Cobra Open Cluster again, up to x85 - fairly dense, very pleasing.

M44 Beehive, always a pleasure - many bright stars over a wider span.

NGC 2281 Open Cluster in Auriga - a new one for me - again, many bright stars, forming an attractive pattern.  And again, still good up to x85.

M65 and 66, two of the Leo Triplet of Galaxies - another return trip, showing a little more detail - both faint, but the elongation of M65 was clear, especially in AV.  A slight increase in mag to x68 helped somewhat.  No sign of the third member of the trio, the Hamburger.

Still in Leo, barred spiral galaxy NGC 2903 - another new object, just a small, faint patch, which again was clearer at x68.  (Initial searches are always done at x48.)

And finally, another to tick off (but still to re-visit!) - Caldwell 39, the Eskimo or Clownface Planetary Nebula.  Very interesting, this, looking like a bright, slightly fuzzy star.  What made it special though was the small and noticeably brighter central spot compared with Planetaries M27 (basically a patch) and M57 (a ring, of course!).  Once more, increasing the mag to x85 was beneficial.  Using a UHC filter was not!

A great way to spend an hour and a quarter, seeing new sights, and not getting too cold!

Doug.

Bravo ! Very worthwhile getting out in the early hours. So much darker and the air is quite still. Jupiter has been just stunning and it's good to preview the spring galaxies. The other morning , I was amazed to catch Vega, Cygnus and Hercules in the north east,

Nick.

Good session Doug, some nice targets in there. I often (always!) struggle with the third member of the triplet from round here, certainly in the 4". Must get the 925 on them!

Planetaries are fascinating in their variety aren't they? Blue Snowball and Blinking are two others that spring to mind

38 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Very nice report. Try to shield your viewing point from the neighbours light. Even a large garden parasol can make a huge difference.

Thanks!  I tried an old towel in a tree the other night, and it helped, but the light is so strong and divergent that my shed is all lit up and the reflected glare off it pretty bad.  I'd need a huge, high parasol to stop it!  I have mentioned the issue - very nicely - but to no avail, so it's bright targets or early mornings for me!

Doug.

59 minutes ago, Nathan UK said:

Good little session there Doug and a good read, 

too couldy by me tonight unfortunatly although I did take a peak of the M1 yesterday

More good progress, Nathan.  Do you keep a log of your sessions, or maybe a summary (by category, perhaps) of what you've seen?  It's handy to refer to, since the more you spot, the easier it is to forget!

Doug.

2 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

More good progress, Nathan.  Do you keep a log of your sessions, or maybe a summary (by category, perhaps) of what you've seen?  It's handy to refer to, since the more you spot, the easier it is to forget!

Doug.

Yes indeed mate, yes I have started keeping a log now, not in category's tho more of a dairy...

ive added my first posts from here into the beginning of it also.

im starting to have a little go at taking pictures as well Doug,

only afocal with my iPhone and iPhone telescope connector ,

my first couple haven't been that impressive tho haha 

jupiter and its moons are captured but Jupiter is over exposed its sphere shaped but no detail just bright (I know how to do the settings correctly now for detail)

so im having another crack at it asap!

i also took a 3 second exposure of the m1 .... Although the picture looks pretty it's certainly not how it's supposed to look haha I know why tho!!! Due to the earths rotation !!! Silly me haha I haven't got a motor drive yet!!! Haha I didn't know at the time I needed one for such tasks!!! (Being the complete novice in astronomy I am! Never mind astrophotographery )

i really didn't have a clue what I was doing but since making these errors I have become more aware.

STILL HAD HEAPS OF FUN THO

and that's what it's about isn't it buddy, will show you below

nathan 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

@Nathan UK - Dead right there - having fun is truly what it's all about, and we learn and improve as we go along.  

My first 'scope was a Newt/Equ with a little battery-operated motor, but I hardly used it, and didn't "take off" until I got a frac.  Can't say I'm going down the AP path though!

Continue enjoying yourself mate!

Doug.

1 hour ago, cloudsweeper said:

@Nathan UK - Dead right there - having fun is truly what it's all about, and we learn and improve as we go along.  

My first 'scope was a Newt/Equ with a little battery-operated motor, but I hardly used it, and didn't "take off" until I got a frac.  Can't say I'm going down the AP path though!

Continue enjoying yourself mate!

Doug.

I wouldn't say I'm going down the AP path either! I'm just having a bit of cheap fun and will be happy with pics that show a tiny bit of detail, 

im not spending anymore money on AP or even this scope after the MD! And no doubt I will out grow this scope before long, then I plan on a large dob ?

And I will do mate, if I wasnt having fun I wouldn't see the point ?⭐️?????

speak to you soon doug ✌️

Nathan 

Archived