stellarium guidance

hey sglers,

any chance there is a way to have stellarium save your viewing settings prior to quitting?  i got deeply sucked into stellarium just now, and really was testing out a lot of bells and whistles.  first off, daaaamn this program is awesome.  second, i got it to show all the details i currently prefer, then exited to see if they would save; they didn't.  i had a blast learning by a trial by fire though, the hook is deep.  

You will also find you can set things like the Meridian and Prime Vertical. (Which to me are nice for my imaging, keeping track of my meridian flip.)

If/When you make this different settings, do try and remember to do the "Save Settings" so they are there when you come back to it. Like Louise said, the spanner wrench, also you can use F2 to get there as well. The "Save Settings" is on the main page lower left.

I'm a fan of Stellarium, though I use the V 15.0. The way I have things set up, Stellarium can run my mount and take me to places I'd never see or know existed without it. I think Stellarium is the ultimate companion for a 'Go-To' mount (Once you get all the peripherals lined up).

And if you want to do any planning, exploring, or checking, it is very valuable during the day as well. Down along the bottom you can shut off the day mode, shut off the landscape, and there's the night sky with daylight streaming through your windows. Pretty cool!

In the upper right you can enter in your particulars about telescope, eyepieces, camera's, and more.

Lots of fun stuff.

4 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Adding these markers - easily - is one of Stellarium's cool features. And changing their colours to help visibility, and your own taste, makes it really nice.

My latest below,

Dave

stellarium-277.png

Ahhhh - colours.

I need to look into that.

5 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

That 'Spanner' might be called a 'Wrench' on this side of the Atlantic. The first page has the 'Save Settings' rectangle.

Works well for me,

Dave - nothing like teaching 'American' to folks in the UK! :D

I was taught:

• spanner has a single 'lever' with fixed jaws that 'span', adjustable spanner has a single 'lever' but a mechanism to adjust the 'span'
  • wrench has adjustable 'jaws' and long handles hinged at some point.

Nowt like a Jock teaching ........

I'll stick with 'configuration windows' as the text that appears when you hover over it :)

On 1/27/2017 at 05:20, iapa said:

spanner has a single 'lever' with fixed jaws that 'span'

Box Wrench

adjustable spanner has a single 'lever' but a mechanism to adjust the 'span'

Crescent (or adjustable) Wrench

wrench has adjustable 'jaws' and long handles hinged at some point.

Pipe (or monkey) Wrench?

And lastly,

Spanner Wrench!

On 27/01/2017 at 06:03, Dave In Vermont said:

That 'Spanner' might be called a 'Wrench' on this side of the Atlantic. The first page has the 'Save Settings' rectangle.

Works well for me,

Dave - nothing like teaching 'American' to folks in the UK! :D

Dave they do say we are two nations separated by a common language :)

Jim

Thanks! I really was just mashing buttons and seeing what it did.  At one point the night's sky was rocketing out of control and making me dizzy in the process haha.  But yeah, there are a lot of features to play around with and customize.  SO AWESOME. 

Archived