SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Point&Shoot = Vesta !

Normally I stay with visual astro, but from time to time I will do a 'Constellation' pic with my little 10y old point&shoot on a tripod.

A couple of nights ago I was doing Gemini and remembered info on the forum that asteroid Vesta was somewhere between Cancer and Gemini. Lo! when I did a close crop on one of my 15sec frames there was a small trail near where CdC said Vesta should be !

To make sure I did the same again the following night and here we are, one tiny mobile spec :) :-

X4sA.gif

X4sA.gif

49 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Brilliant love these captures of an asteroid. I had completely missed it is in such a good spot for me potentially

and it is going to remain in that region for a while yet, it moves further in to Gemini for a bit and then loops back not far from where it is now.

Thinks, has it passed oposition yet, will it brighten or fade ?  More googling in the offing !

and this is what I started out to do, a starscene with Gemini in the middle.

In the field is Cancer with M44 just vis. ( better in the fullsize orig) and M35 in Gemini as well, also Auriga and a bit of Orion (Beetlejuice)  A lined version below showing the approx position of Vesta.

Edit : PS apols for the top of my chimney but it can be a useful baseline against  black-level clip :) 

174gradS.jpg

174gradSlines.jpg

18 hours ago, Davey-T said:

to add to my collection, should have a nice GIF eventually.

Good luck with that in this climate ! :(

Another two days gone by with no view oif it here and by the look of the 'cast there will be a horrid great gap in my gif if I ever do see it again !

I may have to 'borrow' some :) fill-in pics ,,,  oh how's that for an idea, an SGL group movie !

Just now, SilverAstro said:

Good luck with that in this climate ! :(

Another two days gone by with no view oif it here and by the look of the 'cast there will be a horrid great gap in my gif if I ever do see it again !

I may have to 'borrow' some :) fill-in pics ,,,  oh how's that for an idea, an SGL group movie !

I'll see how good / bad it is when I give up, may have to P'Shop some in :grin:

Dave

18 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Just been looking at which lens to use, I think the rdf that fits in the flash hot shoe will be useful here to speed up the aim to the area.

I'm using 300mm it gives a reasonable field of view and enough stars to recognise where you are, it's pretty easy to find ATM just below Pollux.

Dave 

Last nights pic'

Vesta-26-01-17.png

well, contrary to my earlier gloom about the forecast I had a clear (very transparent) break last night and got my 3rd obs and set of images of Vesta,  what a surprise !! I wonder if the 3 would be good enough to calculate its orbit like we discussed elsewhere ? !

All I have to do now is process them all and add to my little movie. I'm not sure about this imaging lark, it takes a lot longer to proc than to obs  :hiding::angel9:-  but it is now raining again so what else is there to do  :)

3 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Thai's encouraging me to have another go at mine.

Yes please, I'd love to see a proper job :)

Mine was never supposed to be, as RenéD might have said, it just happened;  so by the time they have been cut from a wide field stretched, rotated and bashed about, specially the last one, within an inch of their lives well, , ,

, , , at least they show, as Galileo might have said but probably didnt,  - nevertheless it moves !

• 4 weeks later...

Continuing my little experiment with the point&shoot on a tripod, I have got 3 more images to add to the gif ( with a bit of an interruption by the moon ! )

One problem is becoming evident - it is fading ! ( past opposition) and I fear will soon be out of range of this wee camera :( originally it was plain to see in a single though noisy frame, now I am having to stack 10 frames to see it well, but at least the noise is supressed.

24Jan, 25Jan, 29Jan, 4Feb, 14Feb and 18Feb. (the bright star top-middle is Pollux - beta Gemini)

Vesta6arrowed.gif

and here it is without the arrows

vesta6.gif

Archived