Armchair entertainment: Burnham's Celestial Handbook

Andrew*

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Amazon, the author, publisher or any other commercial enterprise connected to BCH.

One of the greatest aspects of observational astronomy as you gape at a visually underwhelming deep sky object in the eyepiece is not about how it appears, but rather to realise what you are looking at, and contemplating the scale of it all. Usually some mind-boggling sense of wonder enters your mind.

I decided to buy a book to accompany my observations, so that I could learn more about what I look at. A book to look to for inspiration for my next observing session, or a book to use to reflect on the session and the objects I saw. Observing notes would also help so that I could know what to look out for. Pictures were an optional extra! What I didn't want is something that spends the first half explaining why stars move across the sky and other questions of basic knowledge of astronomy. On the other hand, a book that concentrated on highly advanced scientific calculations was not my cup of tea.

I posed a question on SGL and several books were mentioned, including a few recommendations for "Burnham's Celestial Handbook". This is a 2000-page, 3 volume monster. It seemed highly advanced, had locations for objects in RA and DEC (I don't use these, and the co-ordinates anyway slightly out-dated) and generally over-kill for such a casual and inexperienced astronomer as myself. Not to mention, each volume comes in at minimum £15 apiece new, and if you are going to buy one, you have to get all three!

I had almost crossed it off the list, until I looked on Amazon, where, to my amazement, a used volume II was available for 29p plus £2.75 for postage from the US. Condition was stated as "acceptable". I decided to buy the book as a taster – you can't go wrong for 3 quid!

Postage was estimated to take 6-8 weeks. To my utter amazement I had the book in my hand less than 2 weeks later. The book had apparently snuck into "Priority Post". Opening the package, the book turned out to be an ex-library edition, with a library barcode stuck over the title. Apart from that, condition was perfectly adequate with only minor wear. Before long, I had picked up all three volumes for about the price of one volume new.

Chuffed with my good fortune, I dug in!

Volume I begins with three chapters that cover all aspects of general astronomy and thus a complete beginner can be brought up to a fairly advanced state of understanding. This section is concise but interesting, and doesn’t contribute too greatly to the bulk of BCH.

From the introduction, Volume 1 continues with the constellations in alphabetical order. Each constellation begins with lists and details of multiple and variable stars, and then the same for DSOs, with very brief notes included. These lists don't make for good reading, but they will provide a good source for quick reference.

The fun starts with the descriptive notes, which follow from the lists. This part picks objects of greatest interest from the lists and goes into some detail on them. Most of the objects discussed are comfortably within the visual range of amateur telescopes.

A huge variety of information is discussed in the notes. Almost bang-up-to-date scientific knowledge is wonderfully complemented by cultural and historical contributions relating to the objects. Such information as what the constellations meant in other cultures, and extracts from literature that make reference to them. It is exactly these kinds of anecdotes that bring the facts to life.

For the amateur astronomer, observing notes are often included from various astronomers who saw the objects hundreds of years ago with modest equipment, as well as more recent notes from astronomers using huge observatory telescopes.

From there, Burnham goes on to describe findings of professional research, giving factual details as well as theories about the nature of the more mysterious object. Excellent black and white photos and (understandable!) graphs are given for further illustration.

Burnham writes in a fascinating and engaging manner. Every object is presented as unique and worthy of your attention. While reading it, I felt my mental observing list growing and growing, because each object I read of made me want to see it. Clearly Burnham has a very active enthusiasm for astronomy and this comes through vibrantly in his descriptions.

The greatest appeal for BCH is that it is a truly all-round guide for deep-sky astronomers. It can spark interest for a beginner and gives all the fact that an advanced astronomer requires. Some beginners may require a "starter" book to learn the basic things, but beyond that BCH can provide you with enough information for a lifetime of enjoyment of amateur astronomy. Even the imager can benefit from the information given in the book to help him understand what he or she is imaging. In this respect, the 50-odd quid you spend on BCH will be well justified!

My only dislike of BCH is that he presents factual data in sentence form. For almost every star discussed, he gives position, magnitude, spectral class, distance, luminosity, absolute magnitude etc. etc. Where this is all described in words forming a long, dense paragraph, I would prefer a data table for easier referencing and lighter reading.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend BCH to anyone owning a telescope with interest in observing and learning about deep sky objects. It is not a book to read cover to cover – rather, it is a book you will turn to again and again for reference to complement your observing program. Therefore even those who "don't read books" will find BCH very useful.

Thanks for reading!

Andrew

I've had these on loan from my local library, i've been the only person in the last 10 years to have them out! I agree with Andrew, great reference books, I've just looked on amazon and vol1 is 11p vol 2 25p and vol 3 £1.73p + postage of £8.25p total £10.34p What a bargain...3 excellent books for the price of a bottle of scotch. :hello2: Going to order them in morning :thumbright:

Andrew,

I've used the Burnham series for a while now and they are an excellent source of reference. They can be a little difficult to read I think with the old typewriter style font but once you get the hang of it theres a goldmine of information in there. The only drawback that I would say is that the celestial coordinates given are not J2000 or Jnow but J1950 (the epoch at the time of original writing) but the information on objects given on the whole remains the same and there are plenty of web based sources that can give the current epoch coordinates.

Steve..

Going to order them in morning :thumbright:

:hello2: Nice one!

Andrew,

I've used the Burnham series for a while now and they are an excellent source of reference. They can be a little difficult to read I think with the old typewriter style font but once you get the hang of it theres a goldmine of information in there. The only drawback that I would say is that the celestial coordinates given are not J2000 or Jnow but J1950 (the epoch at the time of original writing) but the information on objects given on the whole remains the same and there are plenty of web based sources that can give the current epoch coordinates.

I admit the co-ordinates and overall design of the book is somewhat dated, but amazingly it's all (almost) up to speed scientifically.

Andrew

A very nice write up Andrew. :thumbright:

I also have the 'trilogy', again, also bought from private sellers via Amazon. Two came from the UK, the other from the US.

Recommended, especially if you can get hold of them for decent prices.

Andy.

I admit the co-ordinates and overall design of the book is somewhat dated, but amazingly it's all (almost) up to speed scientifically.

Andrew

Your right Andrew, still a very good source of information which has certainly lasted the passage of time, and at the prices you are talking about - a real bargain. One of the first 'feelings' I got from the book though was how far we have come as amateurs with astrophotography when you compare the Palomar 200" photos with what we see on a day-to-day basis on this forum - I would still recomend the books to anyone though. Also forgot to say - nice write up, you've summarised the books nicely.

Steve..

Thanks for your comments!

One of the first 'feelings' I got from the book though was how far we have come as amateurs with astrophotography when you compare the Palomar 200" photos with what we see on a day-to-day basis on this forum

A very good point. I also have that feeling.

Andrew

Superb reference material - I got my hardback trilogy from a US seller on Ebay (thanks to the exchange rate it worked out about £20 with p&p)!!

It is very sad that Burnham spent his last years as a park bench vagrant!! I bookmarked this link from one of Astroman's posts. It's a very comprehensive (13 pages +) article but well worth the read.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1997-09-25/news/sky-writer/

Bill£ :hello2:

I love Burnham too. Accessible and very informative - e.g. the passage on M57 beautifully and simply explains how 'forbidden' OIII spectral lines are emitted. Never seen it explained nearly as well anywhere else.

A couple notes regarding the BCH and Robert Burnham.

There's a mamber of my astronomy club, and this forum, that has observed every object in the BCH. He's mentioned before so I won't embarrass him again, but I find that an amazing accomplishment.

Second, some intrepid folks came up with the idea to honor Robert Burnham with a memorial, placed at Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, AZ, where he compiled his seminal work, the BCH. Fundraising is complete I believe, the bronze plaque is designed and work is moving forward to locate, move and anchor a piece of stone from Mars Hill to mount it. It will be located on the path to the main 24" Clark Refractor.

A fitting honor for an exceptional scientist.

A couple notes regarding the BCH and Robert Burnham.

There's a mamber of my astronomy club, and this forum, that has observed every object in the BCH. He's mentioned before so I won't embarrass him again, but I find that an amazing accomplishment.

Second, some intrepid folks came up with the idea to honor Robert Burnham with a memorial, placed at Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, AZ, where he compiled his seminal work, the BCH. Fundraising is complete I believe, the bronze plaque is designed and work is moving forward to locate, move and anchor a piece of stone from Mars Hill to mount it. It will be located on the path to the main 24" Clark Refractor.

I agree wholeheartedly Steve. Recognition of this unique man is long overdue, but at least some have finally realised the immense amount of work he got through, work from which thousands of observers have benefitted from. I add my appreciation of those who have engineered this honour to Burnham.

Ron.

Astroman,

As stated in the link in your previous post (a while ago) , which I have read many times: -

(The Celestial Handbook)....."It is rarely compared to other books because there simply is none other like it. No other popular work approaches its utility and completeness; few other scientific texts contain its sense of wonder and even spirituality".

Indeed, an appropriate tribute!!

Bill£

Archived