Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lousy Seeing Tonight

John

Well I can see stars out there and the views of Venus and Mars were relly quite good during the late twilight but now :tongue:

I can barely split Castor with my Tak 100 at the moment. At 90x it's looking like two tiny silvery hedgehogs right alongside each other !

I reckon there must be some high ice clouds about up there :rolleyes2:

Cold too so hardly worth being out there ATM.

Can't win em all I guess :smiley:

5 minutes ago, John said:

Well I can see stars out there and the views of Venus and Mars were relly quite good during the late twilight but now :tongue:

I can barely split Castor with my Tak 100 at the moment. At 90x it's looking like two tiny silvery hedgehogs right alongside each other !

I reckon there must be some high ice clouds about up there :rolleyes2:

Cold too so hardly worth being out there ATM.

Can't win em all I guess :smiley:

Hi John yes I was out to same very poor viewing now I was on Venus when the power pack gave up ? The joys recharge needed 

20 minutes ago, rockystar said:

it was pretty steady tonight for me (I thought so, anyway) but the transparency was shocking. Just had a quick open session at the local Astro club meeting.

Lancs beats Somerset tonight !

I gave up about an hour ago - clouded over now, which perhaps is better than the temptation of stars that can't be resolved !

Well I was actually very surprised by the conditions but it is clear here, ok transparency is not brilliant but conditions are good enough for me to find the focus mark for my camera on a new to me APM 107/700 and check the FF spacing. Spacing looks to be pretty good only needing a slight adjustment. Still, it was the fastest I have ever had PHD calibrate and start guiding so thought I would try some test exposures on the Horsehead. We will see what they come out like.

It has been nearly 4 weeks since getting the scope that I have been able to use it due to weather and other things going on.

It is cold out there but thankfully the breeze is not too strong.

Sorry, I know this is in the Visual threads but thought I would post anyway.

1 hour ago, Uplooker said:

...Sorry, I know this is in the Visual threads but thought I would post anyway.

Nice to hear what you are up to as well Ian :icon_biggrin:

I'm glad you are out and at it !

After a very promising forecast, got out there for an hour. Managed Xi (UMa) just managed a split . The lovely  NGC 2841 showed a core and some granulation in one of the finest non Messier's. M82 showed the dust lane cutting across, then all went very Misty and cold. Good outing for the 200 Newt, sometimes it's best just to give up a session ,

Nick.

Woke up at 4am. Decided to go out. Seeing was ok. 

Worked my way through spring galaxy list focusing at Ursa Major (zenith).

have seen m51 better but m101 was pretty good. Can't remember much else without getting my notes from the shed.

jupiter was pants (hairdryer syndrome)

m97 own Neb - tried an O3 and out popped the "eyes" (first for me)

Temperature was -3, feet very cold!

I organised an outreach event at a NT dark site in North Herefordshire. I arrived about 6.30pm to a lovely clear and transparent sky. We had about 30 minutes and then had some high cloud for 15/20 minutes and then clear again.

At about 8pm it was so clear I was able to see M33 with the naked eye.

Using the Orion VX8 I was able to show many of the normal delights - M37, M36, M38, M1, M31, M32, M110, M42, M35, NGC2158, NGC 2244 and hints of the Rosette Neb using an O-III, NGC 7789  - I also showed Venus and Castor.

Cloud came over again about 8.20pm.

Archived