Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher EQ5 dual axis motors

I just purchased dual axis motors to fit to my EQ5 mount and while that all went OK I something is either too stiff or the motors don't have the required grunt as they are barely capable of moving the mount at all. If I press the control for any given direction the motors might move a little before giving up with little clicky noises  or I can give the knob or gear a little nudge with my finger and they will move again for a while, it's like either the  motors are not getting enough power or they simply don't have enough grunt to move the equipment and there is only a 150pds on the mount.

Anyone else use these motors and if so could you give me any pointers.

The worm gears have to be slackened off a little. It should mention this in the instructions if you have them ?? Takes a little trial and error to get it so they are slack that the motors are under no strain but tight enough that it limits backlash. It is somewhat more fiddly on EQ5 mounts over other EQ mounts but still easily done with patience.

Yes I've seen that section on the instructions but it's all going a bit over my head at the minute.

It says the worm gear is located inside the rectangular section which the fine adjust cables are attached, I have no idea what the fine adjust cables are, don't suppose anyone has any photos to help guide my feeble mind?

IMG_20170126_205518.jpg

The fine adjust cables are the flexible slow motion ones that came with the mount, I dont endorse this as a fix but when I got my mount I used a power drill (set to slow) to run each axis through a fair few revolutions to bed the gears in.

Alan

OK I have this sorted now, pretty simple really when you ignore the instructions, all you need to do is loosen off the four bolts until you can move the fine adjustment knob freely, the tighten the smaller, almost invisible black bolt (you may need an alan key that didn't come with the scope) a half  turn or so at a time the re-tighten the main bolts> if you are can still move the adjust knob freely all the way round you are done, if it still sticks a bit loosen off the bolts and tighten the small screw another half turn and try again. Repeat until done.

Thanks for the help everyone.

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 21:11, Peco4321 said:

I have enhanced motors for my eq3-2, are they the same sort of thing as I have problems with severe delay when changing direction in DEC.   Retailer said it is normal. 

IMG_1535.MOV

That would be backlash and perfectly normal. You can reduce it slightly by ensuring the motor cogs are meshing snug and fettling the worm gears but you will not eliminate it altogether.

Thanks @spaceboy I seem to have it sorted now. The DEC motor also allows me to have the slow motion control attached as well, and all I needed to do was twist it , taking up loads of slack until it sort of locked up. Then when I use the motor control it swaps from one direction to the other almost straight away. 

Archived