SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 150 PDS

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a good scope, plenty of people have them and primarily use them for imaging as it's the PDS version rather than the plain old 150P. This mean that there is greater inward focus so it is easier to get a camera i.e. DSLR to come to focus.

what do you wish to use it for visual or AP?

What mount do you plan to use with it?

HTH

I started with the 150P (plain old one) and it was great but I wished I'd had a PDS version at the time. I say go for it but make sure to use it on a steel tripod rather than the wobbly ally ones. I had an ally one and it took 15-20 secs to settle the vibrations down before looking through the eyepiece. Even then you had to be careful not to touch it and start it off again. But it's a smashing ota for observing with, it just needs a solid mount/tripod for imaging. :)

3 hours ago, Uplooker said:

It's a good scope, plenty of people have them and primarily use them for imaging as it's the PDS version rather than the plain old 150P. This mean that there is greater inward focus so it is easier to get a camera i.e. DSLR to come to focus.

what do you wish to use it for visual or AP?

What mount do you plan to use with it?

HTH

Hi Uplooker,

Mainly use the scope for visual to start with and later maybe some AP?

I was going to start with it on a EQ5 mount.

3 hours ago, brantuk said:

I started with the 150P (plain old one) and it was great but I wished I'd had a PDS version at the time. I say go for it but make sure to use it on a steel tripod rather than the wobbly ally ones. I had an ally one and it took 15-20 secs to settle the vibrations down before looking through the eyepiece. Even then you had to be careful not to touch it and start it off again. But it's a smashing ota for observing with, it just needs a solid mount/tripod for imaging. :)

Hi brantuk,

I was planning to get one on and eq5 mount then probably upgrade the mount when I want to do more such as AP.

3 hours ago, laudropb said:

This is a very well thought scope on this site. If it is for AP then the mount used is of more concern.

Hi  laudropb,

I was primarily use it to observing and learning the skies, I am planning to get one on an EQ5 mount. If I progress to AP then I would consider upgrading the mount.

1 minute ago, Galactic Wanderer said:

Brilliant scope. Seen and imaged a lot of great things with this scope. I took this a few nights ago from the heart of London

Autosave003_ABE1.jpg

Great photo.

I hope to try a bit of  AP once I have mastered the scope for observing.

I received the 150PDS at christmas - it's only my second scope but I can see a variety of advantages over my previous 130P.  You will love it.  Apart from the obvious stuff like the bigger mirror, it has some 'hidden' nice features which I didn't realise I needed when I had the 130P.  Eg -easy access collimation screws, dual speed lockable focuser, 2" eyepieces (optional...)

All good.  I'm sure it really will shine on the EQ5...

Good luck with the cryptic skywatcher instruction!!!   One other bit of advice may be to ditch the finderscope and get a red dot style finder.  That's probably a personal preference though....

1 hour ago, mikey2000 said:

I received the 150PDS at christmas - it's only my second scope but I can see a variety of advantages over my previous 130P.  You will love it.  Apart from the obvious stuff like the bigger mirror, it has some 'hidden' nice features which I didn't realise I needed when I had the 130P.  Eg -easy access collimation screws, dual speed lockable focuser, 2" eyepieces (optional...)

All good.  I'm sure it really will shine on the EQ5...

Good luck with the cryptic skywatcher instruction!!!   One other bit of advice may be to ditch the finderscope and get a red dot style finder.  That's probably a personal preference though....

Thanks I hope to start enjoying it soon  I was thinking of a red dot finder scope any recommendations?

2 hours ago, Galactic Wanderer said:

Do! Paired with the EQ3 this scope is a mintaure beast. Just look at what others have achieved in this thread

Seb:icon_biggrin:

I will have a look at the thread. Hope to try some imaging out soon

Archived