Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQMOD ASOM SETUP - Invalid Parameter

Grierson

I know this has been discussed before as I've done a search and read a number of posts however none seem to provide an definitive answer. I am planning to control the HEQ5 from the laptop.

I am trying to set up EQMOD and Stellarium. I have downloaded the latest Stellarium and StellariumScope programs. I have got the point of 'Select Mount' on StellariumScope screen and selected the EQMOD HEQ5/6 on the ASCOM Telescope Chooser dialogue box. The box then asks for the 'Properties' button to be clicked and this brings up the ASCOM driver setup screen. Wnen this appears it shows the correct COM port and site information that I put in originally but once the OK button on the Setup screen is clicked the 'Invalid Parameter' warning comes up and I can do nothing else as the boxes lockup. I can close the StellariumScope screen with Windows Task Manager but the EQMOD screen refuses to budge!! The only way to remove it is to reboot the laptop.

I had a similar issue when I first set up the driver screen however I can now connect from the EQASCOM Toolbox and once I have the control panal on the screen I can slew the mount using the NSE and W control buttons, Park and Unpark the mount etc.

Any views/pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - John

Thanks bottletopburly, I gather that the group you mention has a restricted membership. I've not had a response to the e-mail I sent them. However the members on this site have a terrific fund of knowledge so I was hoping someoe could come up with a pointer to what I was doing wrong.

Starlight 1 I'm not sure of the question. The mount is new from FLO and is the one picked up by your link. - John 

If  you can connect to the mount via the ASCOM Toolbox, and you can control it, slew it, park it, etc. then the issue is not with EQMOD I would suggest,  but Stellarium.

I think Starlight was checking that you had the GOTO version of the HEQ5, the non-goto version can't be controlled by EQMOD as it doesn't have the correct motors and circuit board.

If I’m recalling correctly this is something to do with the location dropdown within EQMod... mine does it also. Usually means you’re giving it the wrong format for your location co-ordinates (ie: you’re giving it GPS rather than lat/lon)

See... 

4 hours ago, daz said:

I think Starlight was checking that you had the GOTO version of the HEQ5, the non-goto version can't be controlled by EQMOD as it doesn't have the correct motors and circuit board.

Spot on Daz ,

18 hours ago, Starlight 1 said:

Stellarium and StellariumScope programs

I was reading up last night and Stellariumscope was made for the old mount  yours is  v3 so try Stellarium only.

1 hour ago, Marci said:

If I’m recalling correctly this is something to do with the location dropdown within EQMod... mine does it also. Usually means you’re giving it the wrong format for your location co-ordinates (ie: you’re giving it GPS rather than lat/lon)

See... 

It is said that you go through life learning something new every day. This must be my 'something'. I had read the posts in the link you provided but still the answer eluded me. 

However in the light of your response I had another look at the Site information box. Taking my usual approach I had 'Googled' and found what I thought were the Longitude and Latitude figures. They looked right! i.e. Lat. 54 01 64. At no time did it pass through my mind that there could not be more than 60 seconds in a minute! and of course that was the answer. The actual figures are 54 0 51. Clearly I had been reading the GPS information.

Thanks once again Marci - John  

1 hour ago, Starlight 1 said:

....................  I was reading up last night and Stellariumscope was made for the old mount  yours is  v3 so try Stellarium only.

Now that I have the driver info sorted I will move to the next step. Thanks for the heads up. - John

On 26 January 2017 at 19:42, Starlight 1 said:

I do not use this program so I can not help on this  sorry . I use cdc.

Starlight, I had previously looked at CdC and it appeared to have a very 'busy' presentation. However it set up more easily than Stellarium so I think I will stick with it. Another brand new learning curve. :hmh:

I will always try and help where I can . cdc simple program Open left click on a star which will highlight right click opening menu down to  telescope Connect, once you done this basically  repeat the same way but send a telescope to the object. Hope it make sense.

Archived