SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Imaging gravitational lensing

spaceman_spiff

Hi all,

Does anyone know a target visible from the UK that shows the distortion effects of gravitational lensing? I would love to image the effect. It has to be bright enough to be seen under a light polluted sky, I have caught galaxies down to magnitude 13-14. 

Thanks,

Dan :happy7:

I assume that you mean a section of an Einstein ring?

Not sure exactly what you mean about "seen under light polluted skies". Do you mean seen visually ?

Any section of one will be very dim so I would say visual is out of it, imaging maybe. Since they are generally formed from a distant galaxy behind the gravitational lump then being a "white" light source I cannot think that a filter will be of great use. So LP will make it all more difficult.

Best suggestion is to search Einstein rings and see what turns up. They may supply more information concerning them imaging performed.

1 hour ago, ronin said:

I assume that you mean a section of an Einstein ring?

Not sure exactly what you mean about "seen under light polluted skies". Do you mean seen visually ?

Any section of one will be very dim so I would say visual is out of it, imaging maybe. Since they are generally formed from a distant galaxy behind the gravitational lump then being a "white" light source I cannot think that a filter will be of great use. So LP will make it all more difficult.

Best suggestion is to search Einstein rings and see what turns up. They may supply more information concerning them imaging performed.

Hi there ronin,

Yes sorry if I was not clear, I meant imaging deformations like the Einstein ring effect. I use a Baader UHC-S filter that is good at blocking light pollution.

Dan

38 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think @Martin Meredith might be your best chance for an answer here.

Thanks for that Stu, looking at that post I am sceptical I will resolve the cross shape with my equipment...

Dan

I think the problem will be image size, not magnitude. There are plenty of quasars bright enough to be captured with fairly basic kit, but the separation of the multiple objects is only an arc-second or two. So you're likely to need a longish focal length, and all the consequent guiding difficulties. Good luck, though!

19 minutes ago, lukebl said:

I think the problem will be image size, not magnitude. There are plenty of quasars bright enough to be captured with fairly basic kit, but the separation of the multiple objects is only an arc-second or two. So you're likely to need a longish focal length, and all the consequent guiding difficulties. Good luck, though!

They are tiny targets, I am still interested even if I can't resolve the distorted structure. I was planning on using 30mins of imaging time to get a shot. 

The true motive of this post is that I am presenting some images soon to a local photography group and I really want to show that a photo taken from my back garden can show something where its light is being bent by gravity (technically the space-time is bent...before anyone corrects me!).

1 hour ago, spaceman_spiff said:

They are tiny targets, I am still interested even if I can't resolve the distorted structure. I was planning on using 30mins of imaging time to get a shot. 

The true motive of this post is that I am presenting some images soon to a local photography group and I really want to show that a photo taken from my back garden can show something where its light is being bent by gravity (technically the space-time is bent...before anyone corrects me!).

The theory of relativity, like the stars, nebulae and galaxies in the sky is beautiful. Image away... I'd certainly be interested to see the results!

The twin quasar is relatively easy to image - this is about 45 mins worth with a Canon 1000D and 8.5" scope at 1" per pixel (from a very light polluted site). The two faint dots right in the centre are the two components.

qso_600x400.jpg

Unfortunately the brightest gravitational arc is in the galaxy cluster Abell 2667, which is too far south to see from the UK. However if you are willing to exposure for many hours then Abell 370 and Abell 2218 have good arcs and are possible in amatuer equipment. There is an old post here:  https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/105606-abell-2218-gravitational-arc-h/

NIgel.

1 hour ago, dph1nm said:

The twin quasar is relatively easy to image - this is about 45 mins worth with a Canon 1000D and 8.5" scope at 1" per pixel (from a very light polluted site). The two faint dots right in the centre are the two components.

Unfortunately the brightest gravitational arc is in the galaxy cluster Abell 2667, which is too far south to see from the UK. However if you are willing to exposure for many hours then Abell 370 and Abell 2218 have good arcs and are possible in amatuer equipment. There is an old post here:  https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/105606-abell-2218-gravitational-arc-h/

NIgel.

Thanks for that, I was planning on doing some imaging last night but was too tired from work. I will compile a list of targets to go for!

Hi Dan,

The Twin quasar is an amazing object. The gravity lens shows you two images of the same object and that the light from A gets here 417 days before the light from B.

Heres a picture that I took back in 2012 with a canon camera (the two 'dots' in the right)  It also easy to find as NGC3079 points right at it.

John

post-24829-133877763515.jpg

13 hours ago, JohnC64 said:

Hi Dan,

The Twin quasar is an amazing object. The gravity lens shows you two images of the same object and that the light from A gets here 417 days before the light from B.

Heres a picture that I took back in 2012 with a canon camera (the two 'dots' in the right)  It also easy to find as NGC3079 points right at it.

John

Thanks for that John,

I'll add it to my list! Weather has been terrible the past month - no imaging done at all. Hopefully my luck will change soon.

Dan.

Archived