Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Power Cables

Hi
I'm moving from a battery to a mains supply for my HEQ5 mount and foucsser, Ive just ordered a 12v 5a regulated power supply from Maplins which comes with a 5.5mm/2.1mm socket.Now have a few choices as to what to do about the cables.

On ebay and Amazon I have come accross various lengths of splitter and extension cables with 5.5mm/2.1mm plug/socket mainly used for CCTV camera systems. These come in various lengths and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of these and their suitibility. Most state up to 12volts but few give the amps/watts. Like those in the attached picture.

wire.jpg

The other option is just to get a Cigarette to 5.5/2.1mm adapter cable and use the existing cables with the cigarette plugs/sockets.

Any thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated

Pete

I'm just about to order 2x 6 metre cigarette socket extension cables for mine. I plan to keep the power supply in the garage and then trail these outside to my usual spot, finishing with the existing cable to plug into the mount.

I don't know whether the above cables would be better or not? I think in either case it would be best to wrap the joins in waterproof tape, if only to stop them pulling apart.

Hi Mered

Thanks for the reply

We moved to a new house with great dark skies about 18 months ago so I wont need portable power. I just unpacked the
scope last week, got it colimated, polar aligned  (took a while to remeber how to do it) then the battery died.
Second night was a bit more sucessfull though but power still didnt last long I only have a 7ah battery at the moment. I've got a modest set up, but I've just added a DIY autofocusser which I must admit is brilliant but its another thing that needs power to run and with plans to add some sort of dew control I think mains is a must.
I am trying to get to the point where I have just two wires running to the mount, one for power and the other
for USB control for the various components then usb hub/power splitters tucked under the tripod where I cant trip over them.
The cigarette lighter type socket does seem to be the preferred solution, so I think I will to follow your lead (no pun intended)
and get a long cigarette extension. Might try and make some rubber waterproof collars to keep the damp out of the connectors rather than waterproof tape as I want to be able to dismantle the rig quickly and easily, perhaps a bit of bicycle innertube might work.

Pete

Archived