SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Leo Triplet

Bagnaj97

Still need to sort the tilt somewhere because there's still some coma/elongated stars on the right hand side. There was a nasty LP gradient on the right as well, which has left some purple stars after removing it.

Celestron C6n, AVX, modded 450d guided with 50mm guidescope and gpcam.

35x 300s lights (2hrs 55 mins), 20x flats, 20x bias

M66_PI_2.jpg

Hi

Very nice image.  With regard to your 'coma/elongated stars ' I had exactly the same problem which, after many hours of searching I tracked down to be the tiniest amount of play in the T-mount adapter on my EOS450d, it is also worth checking that the camera is fully seated and 'square' in the focuser, which was another of my problems.

Regards

4 hours ago, Grimbles said:

Hi

Very nice image.  With regard to your 'coma/elongated stars ' I had exactly the same problem which, after many hours of searching I tracked down to be the tiniest amount of play in the T-mount adapter on my EOS450d, it is also worth checking that the camera is fully seated and 'square' in the focuser, which was another of my problems.

Regards

There is a tiny bit of rotational play in the EOS adapter, so that could well be the culprit, but I think the problem is more likely the focuser not sitting square on the OTA. I don't want to spend too much time sorting it at the moment because I'm hopefully near the end of DSLR photography - I'm currently saving for a dedicated mono CCD/CMOS (Probably ASI1600mm-c). If that exhibits the same tilt problem then I'll try and fix it.

I've recently bought a ZWO 8 slot EFW and Baader HaLRGB filters in anticipation of a "proper" mono camera, but in the meantime I might experiment with imaging using my Altair gpcam mono guide camera. Galaxy season is approaching and FOV calc tells me that with the gpcam I'll have an image scale of 1.03"/pixel and a fairly tight FoV, ideal for the Whirlpool, Black Eye, Sunflower and Sombrero galaxies and with M101 just about able to fit the frame. With such a small sensor and FoV the pictures should be relatively unaffected by tilt, assuming it's not something DSLR specific.

Archived