Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New scope - new eyepiece quandry

catburglar

I've got a  Meade 7inch Mak incoming (2670mm focal length). It's not the scope that I was planning on, but I remember reading the reviews of this when it came out in the LX200 variant, so I thought I'd give a "planet killer" a try.

I've got 'wide field' (approx. 1degree FoV) sorted as a finder eyepiece, and currently I'm thinking of my 16mm Nirvana as my planetary opening gambit. I know this is not your classic planetary eyepiece, but it'll give me around x167 and controls scatter reasonably well for a widefield design. But, where do I go next? 

I'm looking for a couple of options between x180 and x250 as my top end. I'm not too worried about midfield or eye relief, but I do want to avoid extremes of both-I'm hoping to be looking through it for a long time, so comfort/easy eye placement is a factor. Finally, I struggle to justify a£250+ eyepiece, but I've never looked through one. Perhaps I should?

Pentax XF comes in 12 and 8.5mm, noting that the  shorter FL will spend most of it's time in my eyepiece case- it's a premium brand at a good price.

Vixen SLV comes in 12 & 10mm FL (and if they're much better than the Nirvana at controlling scatter a 15mm is also available) and I like the idea of having a matched set.

Celestron X-cel LX has 12 and 9mm, but how do they compare to the Vixen?

Then there's the televue plossl  or the DeLite- only the 11mm is in the right range for this scope

Thoughts please?

I have the original 9mm Vixen LV.  Other than viewing a bit dim compared to other 9mm eyepieces (coatings, glass types?), it is like having a 50 degree version of a Pentax XL or XW.  No scatter or stray light.  It's jet black inside the eyepiece like the high end wide fields with long eye relief.  No exit pupil issues like kidney beaning, either.

Lovely though an XW would be, you don't need to spend a fortune to get great views with such a slow telescope. The XF would be an excellent choice (though avoid the XF zoom which is not recommended). When I bought my first Mak and SCT, I found Hyperions worked well. 

Having said that, I've always thought a good 10-12mm EP is an anchor for the rest of the EP case - it's one of my most used f/ls in all scopes, so you'd never regret getting something really nice. And you can't get nicer than an XW, Delis or Delite. 

Could keep an eye out for a 12mm Televue Radian.  I found my 6mm Radian to be very comfortable to spend lots of time with and was £115 secondhand.  Probably one of my more regrettable sales to be honest. 

They are excellent !

3 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I use the older NLV. Here's what I thought of them compared to the Radian. Eyepiece Review: Televue Radian v Vixen NLV

I have one of those older NLV's. Its a 25mm. I also have an 8,15 and 30mm NPL. I prefer the NPL's for some reason. Granted, the NPL's are not to everyone's taste because of the short eye relief.

I bought my NLV second hand (read this as in brand new condition) from a fellow SGL member for about £70. That was about half price at the time.

I just love Vixens. Wish i could afford a full set of the best. I'd probably sell of bits and pieces of stuff, to part pay for them.

Archived