SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mount hub pro - API?

daz

Playing with the MHP and the API but I get "ActiveX can't create object" error.

Is anyone else using this?

I should say that the supplied MHP application works just fine - it's the API I can't get operational

I don't have one of the devices, but API to me means "Application Programming Interface", if so, what other application are you trying to connect to the hub ?  Note if its' just a browser, there have been security updates that severly prohibit ActiveX components.... 

Hi Daz,

I have used the .net interface and that appeared to work fine.  What Development environment are you using?.  If you use visual studio, then create a .net win forms project,  and on the references node in the project tree  right click and add reference.

Select browse and add the c:\programfiles x86/hitectastro/mhpcom.dll.

The API should then appear in the object browser

HTH John

Parallels Picture.png

Hi John

Yep, tried that, and the interface appears but when I create a bit code to switch a switch, nothing happens.

I actually want to do it in VBScript and have tried

Dim mhp
set mhp = CreateObject("mhpCOM.mhpCOM")

as per the documentation, but I get the ActiveX error. 

I've tried on a Win10 and a very clean Win7 (both 64bit) and get the same result.

I'll keep plugging away!

• 2 weeks later...

In the last couple of years, someone was developing s/w against this.

You might try doing a search for hitechastro and mount hub?

I know I replied to something so will take look in my history .

No solution as yet. I am fairly certain it's the device - whether it needs a firmware flash I don't know.

I too am waiting on a response from HTA.

I have a backup plan but it would be easier if this were working!

Sounds familiar .. I tried this 2 or 3 years ago. sry to say I didn't get very far with hitec & gave up. Shame, I like the MHP. Went over to Lunaticastro's kit for scripting the obsy automation. Tried with 3 different pc's win7 & win8.1 Various flavours of .net too.. it probably works on XP ( only half joking) but life's too short my scripts work fine with different hardware.. common denominator.. job done

Well, I finally got this working via a convoluted route!

I installed a component for Visual Studio that lets me look the DLL file they ship, and then imported this into a new project in VS.

From this I found what I think is a bug that stopped the unit from responding (in fairness to HTA I won't share the code, as I have sent this onto them). I compiled this into a new DLL.

I then wrote a simple command-line utility referencing the new DLL and presto! I can interact with the unit perfectly via scripts now! :)

The lunatico stuff looks good but it was funds I didn't have!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I have done some more on this and now have a working command line utility that also interfaces with the ASCOM Focuser driver from HTA.

I can now cycle the power relays, operate the dew controllers and the focuser! This is a big leap in my ability to add automation to the observatory...

If anyone with a MHP would like a copy, let me know and I'll make it available. I'm also going to add in support for my MBox weather station, which has an ASCOM driver so theoretically, it would work for any ASCOM-enabled weather monitor. The idea is to monitor dew point and adjust dew heater power accordingly....

3 hours ago, daz said:

So, I have done some more on this and now have a working command line utility that also interfaces with the ASCOM Focuser driver from HTA.

I can now cycle the power relays, operate the dew controllers and the focuser! This is a big leap in my ability to add automation to the observatory...

If anyone with a MHP would like a copy, let me know and I'll make it available. I'm also going to add in support for my MBox weather station, which has an ASCOM driver so theoretically, it would work for any ASCOM-enabled weather monitor. The idea is to monitor dew point and adjust dew heater power accordingly....

Thats good news.. I wouldn't mind trying it with mine Daz. I hate it sitting unused in the Obsy. Might encourage me to put a bit of effort into a second automated mount :)

One thing i noticed when I wrote my Mac version of the MHP software was that if I sent a focuser command, whilst the motors were moving, you could not perform any other commands.  As there is no feedback from the MHP, you did not know that the command had failed. I guess it will be the same for the windows command too

Cheers John

Archived