Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 200P on Skytee 2 mount

Now I know the Skytee 2 can hold 15kg on each mount apparently (never tried this out), but thinking of getting a second hand Skywatcher 200P to see how an 8 inch reflector would work from my garden, so just wondering does anyone use one on their Skytee 2 mount at all OK? With EP's fitted and a 9x50 finderscope the weight of the OTA will be around 11kg approx I think , so should be OK on the mount, but want to make sure before I possibly buy it.

Regards,

Gus :) 

One of our members (Craig ?) has an 8" F/6 Skywatcher OTA on a Skytee II. He does use a Berlebach Planet tripod though.

I have a Skytee II that I'm going to use with my TMB / LZOS 130mm F/9.25 frac. I'll go for a Berlebach tripod for that because of the height requirements.

As long as you are not relying on the original Skytee DT clamps, you should be fine with the 8" F/5. You will need counterweights on the opposite side.

19 minutes ago, John said:

One of our members (Craig ?) has an 8" F/6 Skywatcher OTA on a Skytee II. He does use a Berlebach Planet tripod though.

I have a Skytee II that I'm going to use with my TMB / LZOS 130mm F/9.25 frac. I'll go for a Berlebach tripod for that because of the height requirements.

As long as you are not relying on the original Skytee DT clamps, you should be fine with the 8" F/5. You will need counterweights on the opposite side.

Thanks John. I have one ADM Vixen style saddle on one end of the Skytee which I use mainly for my f11 'frac, and 3 weights for the Skytee too weighing approx 8.9kg. I plan to also get another clamp to match the ADM one I also have if I want to mount another scope on at the same time possibly too. :) 

My Skytee II has the ADM clamps on both axis as well. I'm just trying to adjust out a little backlash in the slo motions - need to tweak the worm gears.

I've had a couple of the Skywatcher / Synta 200mm F/5's over the years and have always been impressed at how well they perform on both DSO's and solar system targets.

Gus I have used an Orion VX8 on my SkyTee 2 for a few years - works very well. I have ADM saddle on the main side and a Baader saddle on the top. The attached photo shows the scope on the mount. When I undertake solar observing I put the PST on the top. All works very well.

I appreciate that the Orion scope will be lighter than the 8" Skywatcher but not that much to make a major difference.

I should have added that my EPs are the Myraid 20mm and 9mm and a 13mm Ethos so quite a weight with the 9x50 finderscope and RDF at the end.

PS - I don't usually pose for photos but I did the owners review for the Sky at Night Magazine and they wanted my picture as well.

orion vx8.jpg

I use my 200p on my skytee2.. just like this..

20170114_001337.jpg

I counter balance with a 7kg weight on the opposite side, usually use it for faint stuff and leave the francs for moon and planets..

It's stable enough to snap moon photos with, I could do more to damp vibrations but all in all it handles OK.. bit to lug it around though, especially if I leave the extension on the mount!

That's the f5 200p with lacerations micro focuser.. 

Ta

Fozzie 

17 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Gus I have used an Orion VX8 on my SkyTee 2 for a few years - works very well. I have ADM saddle on the main side and a Baader saddle on the top. The attached photo shows the scope on the mount. When I undertake solar observing I put the PST on the top. All works very well.

I appreciate that the Orion scope will be lighter than the 8" Skywatcher but not that much to make a major difference.

I should have added that my EPs are the Myraid 20mm and 9mm and a 13mm Ethos so quite a weight with the 9x50 finderscope and RDF at the end.

PS - I don't usually pose for photos but I did the owners review for the Sky at Night Magazine and they wanted my picture as well.

orion vx8.jpg

Thank's Mark. I love the look of that VX8, and the Berlebach tripod too. Very nice. :) 

15 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

I use my 200p on my skytee2.. just like this..

20170114_001337.jpg

I counter balance with a 7kg weight on the opposite side, usually use it for faint stuff and leave the francs for moon and planets..

It's stable enough to snap moon photos with, I could do more to damp vibrations but all in all it handles OK.. bit to lug it around though, especially if I leave the extension on the mount!

That's the f5 200p with lacerations micro focuser.. 

Ta

Fozzie 

Thanks Fozzie. Nice set up. :) That reminds me I need to get an extension pillar for my Skytee 2 at some point too. 

On 1/24/2017 at 13:35, John said:

My Skytee II has the ADM clamps on both axis as well. I'm just trying to adjust out a little backlash in the slo motions - need to tweak the worm gears.

I've had a couple of the Skywatcher / Synta 200mm F/5's over the years and have always been impressed at how well they perform on both DSO's and solar system targets.

It'll be interesting to see how you get on with reducing the backlash John - if it works, I may well try the same with mine although it doesn't bother me that much.

Chris

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 14:58, Knighty2112 said:

Thanks Fozzie. Nice set up. :) That reminds me I need to get an extension pillar for my Skytee 2 at some point too. 

The starwave will really appreciate it.. really transformed my viewing experience being at just a good height... mind you a pair of flexi controls wouldn't go a miss either unless you have really long arms..

Archived