Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

This mornings observation

Nathan UK

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Size9Hex said:

Nice one Nathan, glad you've had a chance to enjoy the view. Jupiter is an absolute wonder. Brilliant for the first view and repaying regular visits. Seeing the Great Red Spot for the first time is one of my astro highlights for sure. Don't worry too much about your light pollution in terms of viewing Jupiter - it's so bright it punches through. With patience you may start to see other more subtle bands around the planet and detail in the main bands. It's fabulous to see the orbital mechanics play out in real time in front of you too. In a single session you can see the planet rotating and the the moons moving around - crossing in front of the planet or going into eclipse too if you're lucky!

Jupiters a beauty isn't it mate ,

i really need to spend More time at the eye piece but as I said in my previous posts all munch sessions of late have been brief ,

thanks for your tips mate

2 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Saturn next, Nathan.  When I first saw it one morning, I could be heard under the bedroom window making excited cooing noises.  Those rings - wow!

Doug.

Yea Doug Saturn for sure!!!

im going to be checking when is best to view it shortly , I really look forward to Saturn , for some reason more then anything...

theres just something that draws me to Saturn and makes me favour it in some way 

1 minute ago, Nathan UK said:

Yea Doug Saturn for sure!!!

im going to be checking when is best to view it shortly , I really look forward to Saturn , for some reason more then anything...

theres just something that draws me to Saturn and makes me favour it in some way 

Yeah mate - Jupiter and its moons are spectacular, but Saturn really is in a league of its own.  That shape, those rings, the gap between them and the planet - fantastic!

Doug.

14 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Yeah mate - Jupiter and its moons are spectacular, but Saturn really is in a league of its own.  That shape, those rings, the gap between them and the planet - fantastic!

Doug.

I see I'm not alone with my enthusiasm for Saturn 

48 minutes ago, Nathan UK said:

What settings or app did you use on  your iphone to take this snap Stu? I'm going to start taking pics myself and have a iPhone holder/adapter.

nice photo I appreciate you posted it

I use an app called ProCam 4 which works very well at keeping the exposure down and helping with good focus.

I then use another app called PS Express to do some basic processing which goes semi to help.

Just now, Stu said:

I use an app called ProCam 4 which works very well at keeping the exposure down and helping with good focus.

I think use another app called PS Express to do some basic processing which goes semi to help.

Thanks mate I will check them out Stu 

On 24 January 2017 at 15:05, Stu said:

I've posted this quite a few times before, but here it is again. An iPhone shot, handheld through the eyepiece of my scope last year. The actual visual view was far better, but you can see two of the moons, and a shadow on the planet. I think there is also one more just creeping out from behind. It's amazing stuff!

IMG_2951.JPG

Wow. That is great. Which scope / eyepiece / stacked / processed?

Sorry. Off thread...... But I want to have a go too.

paul

Archived