Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Editing beginner

Brosnan

Hello fellow stargazers, 

i am trying to get my head around editing and was wondering if anyone would be able to take a quick shot at editing this single shot of the Orion Nebula for me? I am very interested in seeing what kind of detail can be taken from an image like this (I know it's not great but it's all I have at the moment), I had hoped to put up a stacked version of this image but my computer is causing me trouble at the moment! Feel free to crop etc

thanks everyone ?

IMG_0080.JPG

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

There's not much you can do with a single image as the noise will drown out the signal if you do much stretching.

Dave

orion.JPG

Thanks Dave! 

Yeah thought so, hopefully I'll get the stacking done tomorrow ???

@Davey-T I would suspect that Dithering was done, but it wasn't a deliberate move.   I think you know exactly what I mean.

@Bronson.   Great that you are giving it a go.  Davey-T has shown what a single image does quite nicely.  The image shows that there is quite a bit of stuff in your signal. Once you get your head around stacking.  Alot of the noise should drop away.  You should end up with quite a nice image there.

On 24/1/2017 at 09:28, cjdawson said:

@Davey-T I would suspect that Dithering was done, but it wasn't a deliberate move.   I think you know exactly what I mean.

@Bronson.   Great that you are giving it a go.  Davey-T has shown what a single image does quite nicely.  The image shows that there is quite a bit of stuff in your signal. Once you get your head around stacking.  Alot of the noise should drop away.  You should end up with quite a nice image there.

Thanks for your help CJ,

i managed to stack the images in dss I had roughly 130 lights, 50 darks and 50 biases!

i thought the image would turn out quite clear as all the single frames I took are quite clear but it seems to have come out pretty blurry and has dark lines running vertically through the image, I am trying to upload here but it's too big and am unsure how to decrease the size (sorry for being a complete noob)

?

39 minutes ago, Brosnan said:

I am trying to upload here but it's too big and am unsure how to decrease the size (sorry for being a complete noob)

?

You need to save your image as a PNG file you can then upload it to your post.

You can also reduce the size to start with.

Dave

44 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

You need to save your image as a PNG file you can then upload it to your post.

You can also reduce the size to start with.

Dave

Thanks Dave! 

That was causing me a lot of hassle ? Good to know it's easily sorted 

44 minutes ago, cjdawson said:

When you did the stacking, did you simply stack the images or did you also perform an image alignment?

Without the alignment, I'd expect that things do blur.

Ah I see, 

i might try and stack them again and make sure the settings are all right!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

The stacked image is better - more detail. You have a little bit of movement between the subs but not much. Poss a tad out of focus? Processing will bring out the colour. What software do you have? The GIMP is a good start but I don't use it. Ask on here.

Alexxx

Archived