Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Trex1983

Hello From Sydney

Recommended Posts

Hey,

Just wanted to say Hi. I am really new to the who astronomy thing. I have got a very keen interest in Astrophotography and i am aiming to start learning the craft of deep sky imaging. I am looking to purchase my first telescope and mount next month and i can't wait to start learning. I look forward to sharing my voyage into the far reaches of the universe with you.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, warmest greeting from Bali... 
Can't wait to see your progress in DSO imaging :)
BTW, what kind of telescope & mount you gonna purchase?

Cheers,
Ketut

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rigradio said:

Hi, warmest greeting from Bali... 
Can't wait to see your progress in DSO imaging :)
BTW, what kind of telescope & mount you gonna purchase?

Cheers,
Ketut

 

Hey Ketut,

i am looking at purchasing a 8 inch Ritchey-Chrétien reflector astrograph. I have done a bit of research and have found that for DSO imaging these are fairly decent.

The mount to go with it will be the skywatcher HEQ5 Pro mount with Go-To capability

Cheers

Trevor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings to you, Trevor, and a welcome to you - it's great to have you aboard!

You've come to the right place to ask questions, we love to help solve them. So don't be shy with yours.

Starry Skies,

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trex1983 said:

Hey Ketut,

i am looking at purchasing a 8 inch Ritchey-Chrétien reflector astrograph. I have done a bit of research and have found that for DSO imaging these are fairly decent.

The mount to go with it will be the skywatcher HEQ5 Pro mount with Go-To capability

Cheers

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

I think 8" RC is unsuitable for a beginner specially if you don't have an auto guider yet.
May I know, why wouldn't you start with a short refractor for less stress? IMHO.

Cheers
Ketut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This issue would be best suited for the equipment-forums here. This being a Welcome-forum. IMHO.

Have fun -

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rigradio said:

Hi Trevor,

I think 8" RC is unsuitable for a beginner specially if you don't have an auto guider yet.
May I know, why wouldn't you start with a short refractor for less stress? IMHO.

Cheers
Ketut

Hi Ketut,

As part of my set up of my AP rig i will be purchasing the following items along with the telescope and mount

  • 2" Camera T-Adaptor
  • T- Ring
  • Cannon EOS 5D DSLR
  • Finder scope (most likely 8x50mm)
  • Auto guider

 

At some stage down the track i will be adding an additional telescope to the line up.

I was thinking more along the lines of a 5inch scope maybe a refractor style and full set of eye pieces

This is going epic purchase. I plan on doing it right first time.

Cheers

Trevor

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should also point out that i am building myself a laptop dedicated to controlling the telescope so it will have all the necessary software to control the camera and the auto guider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi and welcome to SGL from a fellow imager :) There's loads of us knocking about the forum....... Good to see you :)

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi and welcome to SGL, will be looking forward to seeing some of your astro images posted :) you will find a wealth of information here and many knowledgeable people willing to help you should you become stuck or just need a little guidance. Enjoy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trex1983 said:

Hi Ketut,

As part of my set up of my AP rig i will be purchasing the following items along with the telescope and mount

  • 2" Camera T-Adaptor
  • T- Ring
  • Cannon EOS 5D DSLR
  • Finder scope (most likely 8x50mm)
  • Auto guider

 

At some stage down the track i will be adding an additional telescope to the line up.

I was thinking more along the lines of a 5inch scope maybe a refractor style and full set of eye pieces

This is going epic purchase. I plan on doing it right first time.

Cheers

Trevor

 

Wowww...epic purchase indeed.
Just curious, have you considered adding a FR/FF in your list? Plus a thin OAG maybe? What kind of guide camera?
Ohhh, why wouldn't you go straight with a mono cmos camera instead of DSLR?

Cheers
Ketut
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, welcome to SGL :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thank you all for the very warm welcome. i am indeed looking forward to sharing my images and my knowledge as i build it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rigradio said:

Wowww...epic purchase indeed.
Just curious, have you considered adding a FR/FF in your list? Plus a thin OAG maybe? What kind of guide camera?
Ohhh, why wouldn't you go straight with a mono cmos camera instead of DSLR?

Cheers
Ketut
 

Hi Ketut,

 

to be truthful, i am not too sure on the monochrome or ccd cameras. before i make the leap in to a specialised astro camera like that i want to do two things. the first is more research and second is to perfect my technique. from all accounts imaging with a dslr will be quite enjoyable, but as i get better a monochrome or ccd camera is on the cards. 

do you have any information on these type of cameras?

cheers 

Trevor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum and the hobby. I'll not be able to help with the AP but there are many experts here who can.

Have fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,

welcome to the forum.  Hope you enjoy your scope and have many clear nights.

John

Edited by westmarch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Trex1983 and welcome to the forum

Clear skies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Trevor and welcome to SGL, enjoy the forum :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.