SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Green flash in orion

solarboy

It's not a plane because you would see several lamps, thus it's either a satellite or a small meteor. The green color could be from the chemicals in the meteor, every flavor makes a different color. If this image is a stack of red-green-blue filtered exposures, the green tint could be from the filter.

I don't believe it could be from a laser, the ray would be broader, and I doubt someone could hold the laser steady enough to do a perfect straight line during an exposure of several seconds (I guess?).

33 minutes ago, Tim said:

That's a BIG pixel! :p

26 pixels across and elongated in the same direction as the green line. This ain't no hot pixel - it is moving so I suspect that Tim has hit the nail on the head! Constant green light from starboard wing and a brief central red flashing light - the port wing is off frame to the left.

Hi

The exposure was 30 seconds

Not sure what red dot is now your right it looks to big to be a dead pixel

There was no helicopters  planes around I would of heard them 

planes usually leave a couple of trails close togeather

I have taken a lot of photos with this set up that have had a satellite trails on they always appear white so it's was probably a metor

solarboy

14 minutes ago, solarboy said:

planes usually leave a couple of trails close togeather

True and this one did - the port wing with its red light is off frame. If you look just to the right of the red anti-collision light you will see a really faint trace of white light running parallel to the green light, further indicating that this is an aircraft pass of some kind.

I had to set my screen's brightness to the max, display the full size original image, and enlarge it, but I finally made out the very faint trail parallel to the obvious green one. I didn't see it the first time because I like to keep my screen and ambient light dim in my room. I'm surprised the fainter trail doesn't show the regular color, though. It's always red at left, and green (or greenish blue, colors seem to shift a bit in the night) on the right side. My guess is the constant red light was oriented totally away from the camera, and the fine whitish trail was another light source on the plane or chopper. 

But indeed, the red blob with a brighter core looks exactly like the flashing light planes carry under their belly. I think this pic is clearly explained, now, no more mistery.

Archived