Narrowband

HI From Midlothian

Les Ewan

Hi there,

Im of the generation who first became interested in astronomy around the time of the Apollo Moon landings and have been observing with various instruments since 1972.Ive lived in my rural site amid the rolling countryside of Midlothian since  leaving Edinburgh New Town in 1979 .I have fairly dark skies ,the main light pollution is towards the north from Edinburgh but my Southern and Eastern aspect are dark apart from some slight interference from far off Peebles and Galashiels. Im lucky enough to be able to see the Milky way and the summer star clouds and have unrestricted Southern view down to -30 dec so I can add Fomalhaut and Antares to my star collection!I have several cheap and cheerful telescopes but my main ones are a 90mm refractor and  200 mm reflector. I also have the usual 10X50 binoculars and a set of 10X60's on a tripod.I  dabble in astrophotography using my Canon DSLR and Nikon compact.My main interests are double stars and DSO's. My site is also a weather station and I regularly contribute my data to UK Weatherworld.

Les.

Hi Les!  I don't come from the generation of the Apollo moon landings, but boy, once I found out about them at a young age, my mind never drifted far away from the skies. 

Your location sounds amazing. Would love to see some of the pics. 

3 hours ago, Les Ewan said:

I have fairly dark skies ,the main light pollution is towards the north from Edinburgh but my Southern and Eastern aspect are dark apart from some slight interference from far off Peebles and Galashiels. Im lucky enough to be able to see the Milky way and the summer star clouds and have unrestricted Southern view down to -30 dec so I can add Fomalhaut and Antares to my star collection!I

Welcome

and when can we expect invitations to a start party?

HI Everyone,

Thanks all for the welcome. Iapa- I have wondered about inviting a small group around some day although parking would be a problem as I have limited parking space on the farm track that runs past my house.The biggest drawback of my site is its 210metres asl and a bit windy and  dewing is a bit of  a problem too as my soil is clay ,great for growing apple trees not so great for optics.Its amazing how loud a hair drier sounds at 2am!!

Les

I'm about 180m asl and like your self between me and the Russian Steppes is flat land and the North Sea ?

Also exposed to the west and north being on the north side of the village. Don't often get good eyeball visibility of the Milky Way tho'.

Dew - my kit often ends up ice bound as I'm sure you have experience of.

Shrug and move on as we do.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived