Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cheap Windows tablet for live view

black5f

Hi

I've been looking for one of these for ages. So thought I'd share it. A remote way of capturing / viewing live view from a canon, light portable and low cost.

I found a Windows 10 tablet from Ebuyer for £39. Works great with EOS movie record and got Stellerium on it as well. Seems well made and has a grippy rubberised case. Getting 20 - 25 fps. Wifi, blue tooth and a sd card slot. A cheap solution for me.

Tom

Well I decided to bite the bullet and get one. I was hoping that somebody would know the answer to the above question but it seems not so I took a chance and got one.

Well I am impressed, it does indeed run Deep Sky Stacker and it does it much better than my old Toshiba Laptop running Windows Vista, now I can just let it run and not worry about overheating and crashing.

It is the full version of Windows 10 Home edition.

I have connected a Usb Keyboard and mouse to it and it behaves just like a normal laptop rather than a tablet.

You can adjust whether you want tablet or desktop modes so it really is the best of both worlds and for £39 its brilliant.

Also it is a known brand(Viglen) with an Intel chipset so I had a bit more confidence in it rather than some unknown brand.

42 minutes ago, adder001 said:

Well I decided to bite the bullet and get one. I was hoping that somebody would know the answer to the above question but it seems not so I took a chance and got one.

Well I am impressed, it does indeed run Deep Sky Stacker and it does it much better than my old Toshiba Laptop running Windows Vista, now I can just let it run and not worry about overheating and crashing.

It is the full version of Windows 10 Home edition.

I have connected a Usb Keyboard and mouse to it and it behaves just like a normal laptop rather than a tablet.

You can adjust whether you want tablet or desktop modes so it really is the best of both worlds and for £39 its brilliant.

Also it is a known brand(Viglen) with an Intel chipset so I had a bit more confidence in it rather than some unknown brand.

Hi have you got a link has I was wondering if it would work with sharpcap an a cheap web cam if it as full size USB

If your after something with full sized USB ports the Lenovo MIIX is worth a look (both full sized ports are in the keyboard), around £100. Argos have refurbished ones at the moment but I picked a new one up for the same price a couple of months ago

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-10-1-Inch-MIIX-310-2-in-1-2GB-32GB-Tablet-From-Argos-ebay-B-Grade-/351922679566

On 03/02/2017 at 16:58, gtis said:

Hi have you got a link has I was wondering if it would work with sharpcap an a cheap web cam if it as full size USB

Hi

Here is the link http://www.ebuyer.com/762783-connect-8-32gb-windows-10-tablet-nxr08001?mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=51482417339&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKEAiAoOvEBRDD25uyu9Lg9ycSJAD0cnByHdDuI1dIMAnY86Kfgo2VcVzlJuNfJfdkDOeSBGMGVRoCUVjw_wcB

The USB is micro USB but you can get a converter that goes from the small micro usb port to the normal Usb size (it is often called a USB on the Go or USB OTG cable, they are only about £2 from amazon).

I got one ages ago for my Hudl2 only to find out that it didnt support USB OTG on the later Android version but I am pleased to say that this Windows tablet does so I now have a use for it and so far I can connect anything and it seems to work. I have mine connected to a 4 port hub which I plug in my keyboard and mouse.

Cant comment on sharpcap as I dont have it but so far I have installed Deep Sky Stacker, Registax, Stellarium, GIMP2, VLC, Firefox, Google Chrome and everything works fine just like an ordinary PC.

I much prefer this to Android as navigating the file structure is so much easier with the windows system eg Drive C:/  drive D:/ etc rather than the android method.

• 7 months later...

Just for info 9 months on its still going strong. You have to be wise and keep the HD clean, get rid of old vers of windows etc. BYE trial and eos movie record is giving 10 - 12 fps. Stellarium is fine. Managed to share it on network so can see the vid directory on my old trusty desktop pc (XP). Bit scratched but £39! Haven't done much scoping, bit of a boring year for planets in my preferred direction.

Archived