Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Suggested eyepiece upgrade?

Is anyone able to offer some suggestions as to an eyepiece upgrade for my Heritage 130P? 

It came with a pretty OK 25mm eyepiece (and a less OK 10mm) and I've invested in a Celestron Omni 2 x Barlow and a Omni 15mm eyepiece. But I'm hoping to find a better quality eyepiece to replace the generic 25mm. Ideally I'd like something in the 25-20mm range - soemthing with a wide FoV for Deep Sky (mainly galaxies) observing.

Thanks for your input.

1 minute ago, nightfisher said:

I would be tempted to suggest the 18mm bst, it really is a peach, 60 degree field and very sharp, barlows very well

Is it sold as BST or badged under different names?

Generally people consider them almost identical in performance. There are always a percentage that prefer one over the other, but it is not normal for a person to buy the BST's and then buy the X-Cel LX's to see which may or may not come out on top. As then they have coughed up for 2 sets of eyepieces that they may well not be able to determine which is better.

One aspect is that the LX's have different focal lengths, and for planets they offer smaller incremental steps at the lower end. As there are the same number in each range the LX's have a bigger jump between 2 of them at the upper end.

LX's cost more is one aspect.

I've owned both the BST Straguiders (same as the Explorers) and a couple of the Celestron X-Cel LX's. The Celestrons fit and finish is slightly better but performance-wise I felt the BST Starguiders were just as good, possibly even a touch better.

Thanks for the advice.

I think if the optical quality is very similar, I'd probably be happier spending a few extra quid for the better finish of the X-Cel LX.

I've just been out looking through the "Super 25" which came with the scope and I must say, it's not half bad. Ought I to expect to notice significant improvement with the X-Cel LX 25mm?

It is all down to personal opinion. I feel that the Celestron X-cels are marginally better than the BSTs and that is why I chose them. I do not have the 25mm X-cel so can not comment on its performance. I use a Maxvision 24mm for its extra for---68 degrees.

Archived