Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

PeterCPC

IC434 Horsehead Nebula and others

Recommended Posts

Yet another Horsehead (sorry).

Imaged on the 20th using my ED120 and Modded 1200d with UHC-E Astronomik filter - 27 subs of 300 secs at 800 iso. Stacked with Bias and flats. Dithered so darks not added. Tried adding darks but it got noisey.

Comments and suggestions welcomed as usual and thanks for looking.

Peter

Horsehead Nebula.jpg

Horsehead Nebula2.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to be sorry as you have some useful data Peter.

You may be able to stretch a bit more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful image.. much better than my recent attempt! I would just say that the masks around the flame and horsehead nebulae are visible though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice data and image except for I think it's slightly red... particularly on the flame Nebula... but that is the side effect of modded DSLRs... what I did with my wide shot of IC434/Flame/Alnitak was to create layers in PS and separately color balaced each part, later masking it together...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By lalou
      Hi! I've recently acquired a new Astromodified Canon rebel XT and I've tried to take pictures of nebulas using it but I've noticed that there are these weird black artifacts that keep appearing in my images. Would like to know if anyone has experienced this before? Or are these dirt/dust specs on the camera, filter, and telescope glass? I've attached some of my edited and raw pictures for your reference. The black artifacts can already be seen in the raw image of the horsehead nebula and after stacking I think it got amplified. Anyway, advance thanks and I hope everyone's doing well.
       

    • By alexbb
      I've been processing this image for quite a long now.
      I started acquiring data the last season when I only managed to shoot 3 panels with the Canon 6D through the Esprit 80 for a total of ~7h.
      This season I restarted and I added more data and covered a wider area. So a mix of portrait and landscape panels were planned and shot with the same scope and camera. Now every pixel represents at least 3-4h of integration, some have more.
      All the above were shot from Bortle 2-3 sites where I traveled sometimes even for an hour of exposure.
      To the RGB data I added 17.5h of Ha, same story with the panels. Some were oriented N-S, others E-W. These were shot with the SW 72ED and the ASI1600 from home and Bortle ~7.
      Then I figured out I still had time and I planned and shot 9 more panels of luminance with the 72ED and ASI1600, each consisting of 1h of exposure.
      I combined all of these into an image, processed it and for the Orion nebula and Running Man nebula I also blended some data I shot last season with the 130PDS and ASI1600 from home.
      Below it's my first final version of all data combined. You can watch it in full resolution on astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/full/jni0w8/ or Flickr: https://flic.kr/p/2iBGUXq
       

    • By rotatux
      My first relative success at this target.
      Some dust mites show because the mount had good tracking and I used no darks nor flats. With my camera the cure should be quite simply to power cycle off/on so that auto-cleaning moves the dust elsewhere.
      Capture: Olympus E-PL6 on Skywatcher 130PDS at 565mm/4.35 with SWCC and didymium filter on Omegon EQ-300 tracking RA
      Exposure: 12 × 60s × 2500iso
      Site: 50km from Paris (France), sky Bortle ~ 4
      Processing: Regim 3.4, Fotoxx 12.01+
    • By PembrokeSteve
      Hi, 
      During the 3 clear nights in a row, I had last week, I could not resist giving the Horsehead Nebula a go, using my Vixen VC200L.
      Whilst imaging with my Canon 450D via APT, I could not make out the Horse's head whatsoever on my laptop screen, but I knew I was on target, because I could see NGC2023, at the bottom of my screen.
      Anyway I was pleasantly suprised with this result after processing through APP and tweaking in GIMP.
      Not the total failure I was expecting.

      Image Info:-
      Vixen VC200L Telescope
      Canon 450D camera unmodified
      ISO 1600
      All I could do before fog ended the night:-
      x20 120 sec Lights, x20 100 sec Lights, x10 80 sec Lights, x10 40 sec Lights
      x21 Darks, x40 Bias and x40 Flats

      Processed in APP 

      Regards,
      Steve

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.