SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Cornwall

Geoff_L

My wife and I are new to astronomy, having got the bug thanks to a local Sun 'n Stars event in the middle of last year. After the event, we did exactly what countless Internet references tell you not to do: bought cheap telescope from a chain store (Bresser 70/700 Slylux from a well-known, German discounting supermarket). The OTA is usable, the accessories not so good. So we've now bought some half-decent eyepieces, which make a big difference. I also now have an Orion ST80 OTA, but we're still using the wobbly mount that came with the Bresser and are looking to upgrade that soon (possibly to a Skywatcher EQ5 Pro Synscan) as I want to dabble in astrophotography.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome to the SGL community, the place is chock full of helpful and knowledgeable folks.

No question is silly, if you don't know something, the you don't know, however someone or many here will have been at the same stage before and will know. You will get good advice here, always friendly.

Where in that fine County of Cornwall are you? Love the place.

34 minutes ago, Singlin said:

Welcome to SGP Geoff.

You could spend the same money on a seconf hand HEQ5  go to which would be more future proof.

Thanks for that. I guess that I'll need to make enough posts to access the "For Sale" posts! That said, I understand that the HEQ5 is significantly heavier than the EQ5. I need to drive to a local "dark sky" site and set up before I can start observing or imaging, so 'luggability' is important. This also probably rules out large reflectors or cassegrains for me and so the 6.5kg imaging payload of the EQ5 might be enough and a secondhand EQ5 might offer better value. However, I'm new to astronomy and so all advice is greatfully received.

24 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Hello and welcome to the SGL community, the place is chock full of helpful and knowledgeable folks.

No question is silly, if you don't know something, the you don't know, however someone or many here will have been at the same stage before and will know. You will get good advice here, always friendly.

Where in that fine County of Cornwall are you? Love the place.

Thanks. For info, we're on the Rame Peninsula in SE Cornwall and members of the Kernow Astronomers. As we spend up to three months a year in Victoria, Australia, we're also considering joining the Mount Burnett Observatory -- we had a very warm welcome there when we attended a public viewing night earlier this month.

3 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

My wife and I are new to astronomy, having got the bug thanks to a local Sun 'n Stars event in the middle of last year. After the event, we did exactly what countless Internet references tell you not to do: bought cheap telescope from a chain store (Bresser 70/700 Slylux from a well-known, German discounting supermarket). The OTA is usable, the accessories not so good. So we've now bought some half-decent eyepieces, which make a big difference. I also now have an Orion ST80 OTA, but we're still using the wobbly mount that came with the Bresser and are looking to upgrade that soon (possibly to a Skywatcher EQ5 Pro Synscan) as I want to dabble in astrophotography.

awesome....welcome to you both. I'm also new to the hobby (lifestyle) and is looking for a telescope that will blow me away...I can't afford a big Dob just yet,but will probably end up with something like the Orion 80mm short tube refractor and spend all I have left on eye pieces...i just got my Orion 20x80 binoculars too,sadly I live in Leicester,so the clouds are a pain this week. Clear Skies!

Hi and welcome to SGL - This is a great place to be and you will learn loads. If you are thinking of imaging, then can I suggest a purchase of the book 'Making every Photon Count available from the FLO website in the book section. Do not buy anything for imaging until you have read the book and understand exactly what you need and why..... Unless you are wanting to do planetary or lunar imaging as that has different requirements again in terms of scope and mount........ in which case I know nothing!!! :D

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Just now, 8spokes said:

awesome....welcome to you both. I'm also new to the hobby (lifestyle) and is looking for a telescope that will blow me away...I can't afford a big Dob just yet,but will probably end up with something like the Orion 80mm short tube refractor and spend all I have left on eye pieces...i just got my Orion 20x80 binoculars too,sadly I live in Leicester,so the clouds are a pain this week. Clear Skies!

FWIW, my Orion Short Tube 80 came with Sirius Plossl eyepieces (25mm and 10mm) that are more than acceptable. The 'terrestrial' version that I have is cheaper than the 'astronomical' version. Differences are:

1. The ST80T has a permanently fitted dovetail rather than mounting rings supplied with the ST80A.
  2. The supplied finderscope is smaller on the ST80T -- but it is correct image.
  3. The ST80T comes with a 45° correct image diagonal while the ST80A comes with a 90° 'standard' diagonal.

However, the ST80T does a really good job -- particularly if you already have an acceptable diagonal to use when observing near to the zenith.

FWIW2, I bought my son the Skywatcher equivalent for Christmas. The SW 80/400 came with an AZ3 mount, which is adequate for the 'scope. However, the eyepieces and finderscope are lower quality IMO.

Clear Skies and HTH!

8 minutes ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

Welcome!

Your time in Australia will give you some tremendous opportunities to observe the Southern Hemisphere sky. You might also take a look at the Astronomical Society of Victoria http://asv.org.au/  They have some great facilities, and also a scheme to hire/borrow telescopes for up to three months.

Thanks.  Strangely, I failed abysmally to get a wide-field shot that included the Southern Cross. Every time I visited a dark sky location, either trees or clouds obscured Crux, which was fairly low for the six weeks were were there. The folks at MBO suggested that obs are better in their Winter and recommended returning in June/July as the Milky Way is optimally oriented at that time. IIRC, ASV have the observatory in the Royal Botanical Gardens in Melbourne CBD and their dark sky site is about 1.5 hours drive North of Melbourne. For me, MBO is much more convenient, being ten minutes down the road from where my son plans to move. That said, I will look into ASV's hire/borrow scheme. Thanks again, Geoff.

Archived