SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Re-silvering

Where is the best place to get a mirror resilvered.

I have found a site called galvoptics and sent them an email about 8 days ago but have had no reply so not sure if they are still in operation ....or if they always take a long time to reply.

You did not say what the scope was - if you have a large mirror - 8inch plus take a look at Orion Optics, their Hi Lux coating has high reflectivity and is long lasting (they quote 25 years).

My 10 and 16 inch mirrors and flats were coated by Orion last year and they did a good job.

I took my mirrors to Crewe and collected them. If you have to send the mirror away make sure you pack it really well, use a good courier and get it insured.

Mike

You did not say what the scope was - if you have a large mirror - 8inch plus take a look at Orion Optics, their Hi Lux coating has high reflectivity and is long lasting (they quote 25 years).

My 10 and 16 inch mirrors and flats were coated by Orion last year and they did a good job.

I took my mirrors to Crewe and collected them. If you have to send the mirror away make sure you pack it really well, use a good courier and get it insured.

Mike

I doubt couriers will insure glass.

Many, many years ago when I built my own newt I got my mirrors from David Hinds. They were securely bubble wrapped against a piece of hardboard :hello2: and immersed in those polystyrene Quavers.

With todays packing materials providing you pack well you shouldent have a problem even if they are mildly abused in the post.

Any thoughts as to whether the Hilux option is wort the extra cost (100 pounds against 170 for my Newt) from Orion Optics?

I'd want an extra couple of magnitudes for the extra £70 Gaz. :hello2: If OO can guarantee that, then go for the Hilux Coating.

Ron.

Aluminising is also done by a company called Vacuum Coatings. Do a Google search for their address phone number etc.

Ron.

Vacuum coatings is where L'Missus bought her TAL 150P from. As luck would have it the guy who runs it has relatives near us and actually delivered it to us all the way from Walthamstow! Nice bloke too :hello2:.

Tony..

I phoned Galvoptics a few months back and found the chap there very helpful (they hadn't replied to my e-mail - don't think they read them). Didn't end up sending my mirror there (a good clean-up sufficed) so can't vouch for their service.

I had my 10" Dob mirror resilvered at Galvoptics about 8 years ago, no problems. I phoned them (01268 728077) and they suggested the mirror should be well wrapped before posting, as the company is only 50mls away, I delivered and collected the fineshed mirror. The currant cost to resilver would be £25.55

Archived