Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good afternoon from Worcestershire

brenski

Hi, am extremely new to all of this, would be grateful of any advice possible on the following

recently acquired one of these Seben 114/1000

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telescope-Seben-N-114-1000-NEW-/332091035290?hash=item4d522b0e9a:g:n0QAAOSwcUBYMtO8

1] i've been told different things about what type of scope this is. some say a catadiotric, some say reflector - I'm convinced it's a reflector, which is it?

2] it's been great so far - looking at the moon, but when trying to focus on jupiter all i'm getting is the shadow if the aperture  (see highlighted parts of attached)

what am i doing wrong?, any help appreciated

Untitled-1.jpg

Hello and welcome to SGL. The telescope is both catadioptric and a reflector commonly known as a Jones-Bird telescope (catadioptric means an optical system combing mirrors and lenses). Within the focuser is a correcting lens which gives the telescopes it's 1000mm focal length and also corrects spherical aberrations caused by the telescope's spherical primary mirror.

sorry, I'm the OP (brenski)

and I'm in Redditch

ps - as a complete newb, who's clearly missing something obvious, can anyone tell me why I'm only picking up the shadow of the aperture when trying to view stars?

as i said the moon is great viewing, but stars - all i get is the highlighted parts of the aperture - clearly, I'm doing something fundamentally stupid

thanks

Martin

2 hours ago, brenski said:

and I'm in Redditch

ps - as a complete newb, who's clearly missing something obvious, can anyone tell me why I'm only picking up the shadow of the aperture when trying to view stars?

as i said the moon is great viewing, but stars - all i get is the highlighted parts of the aperture - clearly, I'm doing something fundamentally stupid

thanks

Martin

You probably need to improve your focusing.

2 hours ago, brenski said:

and I'm in Redditch

thanks

Martin

Sorry about the name confusion.

Your local Astronomical Society (http://www.redditchastro.org.uk/) seem to offer a free telescope set up session with membership. 

Hi brenski and welcome to SGL, two things, you are not focusing correctly and you may be trying use too high a magnification, use your lowest mag eyepiece, the one with the larger number, say the 20mm or the 25mm, whichever you have. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived